Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Newbie and needing some advice & support  (Read 3732 times)

PMB63

Newbie and needing some advice & support
« on: January 02, 2015, 09:44:06 PM »

Hi there to all you lovely ladies
My name is Petra, I'm 51 (52 in February) and German by nationality, although have been living in England for 31 years now.  My GP confirmed about 4 months ago, that I am menopausal now and started me initially on Elleste Duet 1mg.  I have been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia about a year ago and suffer terribly with heartburn and excess gas.  The Elleste Duet just made these symptoms worse and I had to stop taking them after a couple of weeks, I just felt so nauseous all the time, too. 
The GP then suggested Femseven Sequi Patches, again I only managed these for two weeks as they just didn't stick.  Every time I had a shower or a bath they came off and I did everything it suggested in the patient information leaflet, when first applying etc.  I applied it to my buttock area and held my hand over it for at least 2 minutes. 

The symptoms that bother me most are crashing fatigue, irritability, low mood, no libido, poor concentration, feeling dizzy, brain fog etc and I've just completely lost my "get up and go".  I also feel very irritated and uncomfortable down below all the time. 
I'm just not a happy bunny anymore and was really hoping that HRT might bring back some "normality" eventually.  But obviously I need to find something that I can stick with first. 
Any advice please, as I'm going to see my GP again this coming Tuesday evening?  And can HRT help with fatigue and low mood? 
Oh, I just thought of one more symptom that I'm getting all the time, it's like a crawling sensation under my skin below my neckline (upper back area). 
I really want to feel a little better again, as I'm so miserable most of the time these days.  There must be something that can help. 
I'm taking Vitamins B6, B12, Black Cohosh and have also purchased the Lady Care Magnet.  My hot flushes have decreased, but all other symptoms are not shifting. 
Sorry to go on, but I've been meaning to register for some time and thought to myself, New Year so bit the bullett and see what happens. 
Thank you very much for your support. 
With love
Petra XX

Galadriel

Re: Newbie and needing some advice & support
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 09:56:54 PM »

Hi PMB63 and  :welcomemm:

I've not got any experience with patches but I'm sure there are more types you could try. The menus to the left have loads of ideas and I guess someone with experience will be along soon to help. Just wanted to say hello  :)

Galadriel x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 10:05:10 AM »

Hi and welcome PMB63
The menopause can be tough in so many ways and HRT can certainly help - it's about finding the regime that works for you.  Do read up all the information under the headings to the left of this screen to get really clued up.
Your could try Oestrogel for the oestrogen part of HRT and then use a progesterone for a few days each month to bring a withdrawal bleed - unfortunately you have to have some progesterone when you still have an uterus.  I used this regime for many, many years and it gives you control over the amount of oestrogen you use. You can start with just one pump of gel each day and then increase the amount if needed -  I've never used more than 2 pumps per day.  You can use different types of progesterone and it's about finding the one that gives the fewest side effects. Many women are now using Utrogestan (micronised progesterone) which is bio-identical so the same as our own hormones  (sadly many GPs don't now about this so you may need to print out the info from this site to show them).
HRT should help the discomfort around the vaginal area but it is also a good idea to ask for local oestrogen treatment like Vagifem, as many of us need both systemic and local oestrogen to keep things healthy around our 'lady parts' and bladder.
Keep us posted about your progress and ask questions - we're here to help.  DG x

PMB63

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 06:50:28 PM »

Hi DG
Thank you very much for your reply and useful advice. That's very helpful and I am certainly reading up loads in preparation for Tuesday.
It's so frustrating when my 80 year old mother has tons more energy than myself. I would be happy if I just felt 30% better again right now.
I will mention the Oestrogel to my GP.
Thank you again.
:thankyou:

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 08:37:12 PM »

Hi PMB63  :welcomemm: from me too!

I agree with what Dancinggirl recommends.

Definitely transdermal HRT is better for gastric problems and yes oestrogen wll help with low mood and many other symptoms.

Personally I use patches - the one I use is Estradot which is very small and sticks well - although do have to be careful after showering - I make sure I use the warm hand thing after bath or shower as the heat tends to soften the adhesive.

All the oestrogen products are listed here - scroll down for patches and gel:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php and the progestogens here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php

and as Dancinggirl suggest a local (vaginal) oestrogen will help ( in addition to HRT) with these symptoms.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

Forget the magnet - it has no scientific basis at all. Black cohosh can only be used for a short time as no long term safety data exists. There is info on Black Cohosh on this site here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/otherpreps.php (scroll down and follow links)

Good luck with the GP - and don't be fobbed off!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 10:46:41 PM »

You are very welcome!  Browse round, join in ……….

PMB63

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 12:19:59 AM »

THANK YOU VERY MUCH Hurdity and CLKD for your reply and the links. I'm pretty sure the magnet has some kind of placebo effect on me.  I'm desperate to find something that makes me feel less miserable I guess. 
I will let you know what my GP prescribes on Tuesday. At least I will be a little more informed & prepared by then.
 :sunny:
P X

jedigirl

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 09:37:08 AM »

Hi and welcome! I had problems on the patches too, found them hard to keep on and they made me itch. I switched to Femoston tablets and they seem OK though I can't say I feel fantastic yet but no worse stomach wise than the patches. As for down below , have you tried Replens? I find it worked really well when I was uncomfortable and now don't even need it. X

Kathleen

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »

Hello PMB63 and welcome from me.

The menopause is a many varied thing and it can be quite a struggle to get through.

I hope you find a regime that works for you and if you come across any magic formulas be sure to let the rest of us know!

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

PMB63

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 08:48:47 PM »

Thank you so much everybody for your nice welcome messages and ongoing support.  I feel so much better already just knowing that I have found this site and you all understand where I'm coming from.   I hope you all had a good weekend and are ready for the new week ahead.  I just hope that the brain fog lifts a little (at least during working hours) as I hate this feeling of "the lights are on - but nobody is at home" if you know what I mean.  I'm lucky that I can sometimes get away with appearing a little bit "dipsy" by blaming my nationality on it.  But it's still really annoying though.
Lots of Love
P XXX