Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 2274 times)

marionbsrietdijk

Introducing myself
« on: December 22, 2014, 05:53:03 PM »

Hi, I recently joined the forum as I am very definitely and unstoppably gliding towards menopause. Gliding bad word here as it is turning out to be a rather bumpy ride.... I'm 52 (nearly) and had symptoms for a couple of years, mainly periods that have become irregular and hardly there (but with cramps and seemingly lasting for ever, week and a half of rather unconvinced bleeding, nothing for a few weeks and then back to seeping out stuff again). Anxiety feelings big time, with hyperventilation and heart palpitations And oh yes, sleep is pretty crap as well. No hot flushed though, and although I have seen my GP with this a few times, she (yes it is a woman and you'd expect more empathy) keeps dismissing the fact that I might be menopausal. No help really there so far. It doesn't help that there have been quite a few stressful events in the rest of my life over the past few years, with parents passing away, trouble with the ex, financial strains, work misery, teenaging kids etc. And now I have embarked on a training course to give my career a new direction, but I find it very hard to cope with and am not doing as well as I should do. Wondering now whether it was the right way to go or whether I should just have stayed in my uninteresting but safe job? Would like to share some experiences with others i the same boat, like what is this feeling of not being able to process any new information, forgetful as hell, wanting to crawl in a dark hole and sleep for a year... What does HRT do in this case, does it sharpen your senses, and if so does it make you feel more anxious as your awareness is raised? I just need to talk to a few people with some experience, I am worried my new life plan is not going to work out otherwise.  ???

Joyce

Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 06:22:46 PM »

:welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 06:29:36 PM »

We don't know how we are going to feel until we make changes and sometimes those can be un-bearable.  Makes us wonder if we really ought to have stayed put!

Have a browse of menus, left of screen.  Keep posting!

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 04:31:41 PM »

Hello marionuk and welcome to the forum.

One thing I noticed with the menopause was that my confidence fell off a cliff and situations that never concerned me before suddenly began to bother me a lot. I even began to invent things to worry about, for example a few weeks ago I was crying because I worried that some time in the future my children would find themselves living next door to problem neighbours and that would make them miserable. Mad or what !

I'm sure that if you keep posting you'll find all the support you need from the ladies on this site. We are all in this together and it helps to know that.

Take care.

K.

PMB63

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 09:28:17 AM »

Hi marionuk
I am also new and 52 next month. And like you really struggle with processing New information too. Sometimes I worry that I am getting early onset dementia. I call it really bad brain fog and its really horrible and robs me of my confidence.  I would also be grateful to hear about other's experiences with HER and if it helps with the psychological symptoms. Just wanted to say Hello and let you know I understand what you are going through
With Love
P XX

SallyG

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 06:31:45 AM »

Hello, and in my experience HRT and SSRI's like Citalapram (spelling?) has helped me enormously. I am on Ellesse Duet (spelling?) and read this forum everyday. I have not only survived Christmas, I enjoyed it and I was absolutely dreading it - never dreaded it before. As I am beginning to accept that it is due to hormonal changes that needs to be managed and so I am on HRT and SSRI's. I phone my GP every week or see her and just keep on.
Hugs Sally G

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 10:06:29 AM »

Hi Marion,

Just read your post and the last line struck me....life plan? Life tends to get in the way of plans! Things happen, good and bad. Sometimes when you have a plan you overlook or do not appreciate good opportunities, because you haven't planned for them. You get stressed trying to fulfil the plan.

Take a step back. Consider these questions.  Are you enjoying the course? Would you enjoy it more if you were not concerned about any outcome eg job prospects? If you feel you would not enjoy it whatever, what's wrong with giving up? What are you doing outside of work? Have you time to look after you, time to follow or explore new interests, hobbies , voluntary work? Time to follow up the unexpected, unplanned for opportunities?

As to processing information, yes, learning can get harder as you get older, hormonal or not, but it's amazing how much easier it is when you are passionate about what you are learning. Then it is not so hard to do the extra work.