Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Council spending cuts  (Read 9450 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Council spending cuts
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 03:51:29 PM »

Oh Tiger74 you have missed my point!  WHOEVER has been voted in has been squirrelling away millions of pounds belong to US! which instead of being spent in each Council area has been put into interest-bearing accounts until ……….. this in my mind is THEFT.  We are being told daily that the various Councils across the UK have 'no money' - that the Government of the day are cutting back funding to Councils across the UK - why has no-one queried exactly where that saved money is due to be spent?

Certainly not on roads around our area  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Hattie

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 04:22:29 PM »

i think a lot of stocks /shares are for council worker pension schemes throughout the system so do they really count as 'our money' ? - assets such as land buildings etc are different probably bound up in some way and can't be sold.

I looked up manchester airport which has shares owned by several councils - dividends are paid out to top up the council spend to go on anything.

Councillors do have to declare interests nowadays - not sure that stops the brown envelopes though.

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 04:25:42 PM »

But is the money spent?  Apparently not: if the bad state of the roads around here are anything to go by and the fact that the NHS is on it's knees  :'(

Pensions are part of a person's wages.  I need to have a look-see at the Annual Accounts locally.

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 01:31:33 PM »

We both have Final Salary Pensions.  DH is taxed at 40% .........

However, I digress .........

rosebud57

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 08:58:51 AM »

We pay £183 per month council tax and many service including rubbish collection are good.  However have been waiting months for a flashing street light outside our house to be fixed.  Also potholes are a huge problem.  Council also under fire for spending £24,000 for hoarding around recently demolished cinema which should have been paid for by the private developer. 

Seems like cuts would be less likely if a bit more common sense was employed. 

littleminnie

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2015, 09:13:07 AM »

We had a flashing light too. The only way to get them to come out is to keep ringing. It took 4 phone calls but it got fixed.

Hattie

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 10:50:42 AM »

Makes you wonder how the next generation will fare under it all.

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 11:30:40 AM »

By looking into the Annual Accounts and asking why there is so much is

whoops, computer crashed  ::)

is being held and for which emergencies?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:27:43 PM by CLKD »

Hattie

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 11:58:56 AM »

Very difficult to undo council policy once they decide to change it - my husband has been involved in helping others to get our council to retract a cutback. Eventually went to the Ombudsman but no joy - a complaint against the Ombudsman was then reviewed by guess who the same Ombudsman. Needed deep pockets to take it any further.

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »

Thanks Hattie.  This is no better than the Regimes that the Government of the Day complains about ….. it's OUR money though  :-\

I had a similar problem when trying to sort out a well known cat charity, the LA knew there was a problem but used the excuse that the cats were housed on private property, not to get involved: unless I could prove that cats were dying daily  :'(

Pages: 1 [2]