Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: coming off hrt  (Read 7233 times)

ritah

coming off hrt
« on: December 27, 2014, 11:07:16 PM »

hi I wanted to come off hrt so I reduced it to the lowest possible strength there was in premique tablets. in January this year. 4 months after doing so all hell  has let loose in my body . dizzieness. pulpatations muscle main and strain. tiredness its a nightmare. ive had regular blood tests done only thing it has shown up is a little low on iron. doc said nothing to worry about. and my thyroid showing underactive but only very slightly. so is this a normal bodily reaction to reducing hrt  any help please many thanks x

karin

Re: coming off hrt
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 01:46:04 AM »

Take a good quality iton tablet or liquid - i was borderline anaemic  and my GP wasnt bothered about me taking iron but my legs used to tremble I was always tired and my hair got really thin- i took floresine  for 6 months and now take a third of the dose and it really really helped me. Also when i came off hrt after taking it for 3 months i briefly got palpatitations but within a week they went

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 07:49:34 AM »

Hi ritah - were these the symptoms which meant you needed HRT in the first place? All of my symptoms returned when I came off it over a year ago and I am now back on a low strength.

Taz x

ritah

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 08:20:39 AM »

hi taz and Karen many thanks for your reply . in reply to your post taz I take a multivitamin plus iron  for last 6 months . as I cant take stronger iron tablets as they upset my stomach maybe I should get a liquid to try maybe multivitamin one is not strong enough  as I  still feel tired. im going to get another full blood test done again after new year just to check it isn't my thyroid  or anything else causing the tiredness. :) in answer to your post to me Karen I went on hrt in first place  because of hot flushes  night sweats and generally feeling crap. im 58 so my doctor said this last 3 months worth is the last  I need to come off hrt .what im going to be like after totally stopping hrt  I hate to think the last year ive reduced it has been a nightmare as ive already stated  so I don't know if it is the fact ive reduced that has caused these problems but it started 4 months after reduceing it many thanks xx

ritah

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 10:23:23 AM »

hi again sorry it was Karin who said about iron not taz and taz said about symptoms of menopause sorry I got it wrong way round but is there any other info or sudjestions please to wether it can be reduced hrt causing these problems many thanks xx :)

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 10:52:50 AM »

There's probably no need for you to come off HRT ritah! Reaching the age of 60 flags a red warning light up to GP's but as long as you are made aware of the very slight increased risk of continuing HRT up to the age of 70 then there is no reason to stop unless other health issues such as high blood pressure put you more at risk. If you want to continue with it and begin to feel better again then I would definitely ask to still be prescribed it.  When I came off HRT I felt absolutely exhausted.

If your doc says that there is no reason to be concerned about your iron levels then I wouldn't supplement. Too much iron is as bad for you as too little. It is a good idea to get your levels checked and see what the doc says.

Taz x

ritah

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 12:08:28 PM »

thanks for that taz I will go to doctor after new year and get my blood count and thyroid and iron levels checked again but my doctors are adamant ive got to come off it completey after ive finished this package and it runs out end of jan they tried to take me off it 3months ago but I managed to get them to give me another 3 months  on it but wont reneiw it after that I guess I will just have to wait and see how I get on without it its been bad enough on the reduced hrt let alone none at all ill see how I go many thanks  :)

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 12:55:52 PM »

What were the reasons given ritah, which type were you on and how long had you been taking it?

Taz x

ritah

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 07:45:56 PM »

hi taz I was on premique high dose for a year then been on lowest dose for a year . but before premique I was on evorel 50 for 3 years had a break for 2 years but I felt so bad when I came of evorel50 patches and having a break for 2 years. they then changed my hrt to premique high dose  only a year I think on high dose now a year on lowest dose premique  no reason then only I need to come off it now  I guess my doctors think 58  is a good time to come off  many thanks  :)

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »

Many GP's and Meno Consultants wont consider prescribing a pill type HRT once you get towards 60 but patches or gel are thought to be much safer. I am not allowed any of the pill ones but my doc will prescribe patches - although I have had to sign something to say that the risks have been explained to me which I guess is to cover them if I suffer a stroke and decide to take them to court.

Taz x

ritah

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 04:27:57 PM »

ok thank you taz I will talk to my gp and mention gel or patches thanks again  :)

karin

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 01:53:35 AM »

I do slightly disagree about not taking iron if you are slightly low- ask also to measure serum ferritin level, this identifies if you are on the edge of becoming anaemic - should be average of 42 mine was 12 and GP will class you as anaemic at 10- at 12 i got all the symptoms of anaemia but wasnt classed as anaemic yet. Obviously too much iron is not good either- but this has to be at very high levels, so just explore that with  the GP at least
if there is nothing else it might bebecause it made a huge difference to my energy levels, also B vits are great for energy, hope you find a solution soon!

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 09:00:31 AM »

Good point karin. I did experiment once when my iron was a bit on the low side (GP's words) but found that I then had diarrhoea which the doc said was the body's way of getting rid of the excess. When my levels did become lower then iron tablets didn't affect my stomach at all. This makes interesting reading http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/20/us-iron-anemia-idUSBRE86J10620120720

Taz x  :)

karin

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 03:03:08 PM »

Just as point of ref I take florisene which has iron and lots of lovely vits. Up to 3 a day so can start with just  1 a day and see if it affects you