Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Hot Flushes and Running  (Read 3185 times)

Petra

Hot Flushes and Running
« on: December 25, 2014, 12:22:21 AM »

I'm a runner, 52, and though I now alternate exercise biking and running because of knees etc. I still go for a run 3 or so times a week. I notice when exercising hard, how debilitating hot flushes are, and experiencing them in this way really made me realise that hot flushes are NOT JUST hot flushes, they are system/body-wide and really do take a heavy toll overall. I think they're harder on us than we perhaps think since we (or me at least) tend to focus on the heat and sweat, obviously, because that's most apparent.

But because I don't notice the heat/sweating as much while exercising because I'm already hot and sweaty, I very much notice what else comes with the flush: suddenly, this exhaustion and weakness and the feeling I can't go on and will collapse in a heap. I slow down, it passes. But right at that moment, it's also a real emotional slump: I feel like giving up, stopping, walking/getting off the bike. 'Oh Bugger it" sort of thing.

I wonder if others have noticed this. I'm glad I worked out that I should just keep going, at a slower pace, till the "flush" passes. And to not let the "hopelessness" feeling that seems to come with it get me down too much. i.e. to name it "just another bloody hot flush, grrrrr. plod plod plod."

Meg

Re: Hot Flushes and Running
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 02:40:40 AM »

Dear Petra

Just to say that I fully understand where you are coming from.  Let's not diminish the impact that these horrible vasomotor symptoms have.  They can take there toll when experienced for years.  Many women cannot even enjoy a glass of wine or a cup of tea any more because they excaberate the sweating! Summer weather is another factor and yes, if you exercise or get really into the housework, then you are sweating and you can feel exhausted.  I commiserate but personally have not found the answer for myself as yet.  I have a doctor who refuses HRT as an option, other than that I have been offered clonidine or anti-depressants, neither of which I have yet tried.  I am sorry I have not got much positive input at present except to understand what you are saying in your post.

Meg

starfish

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »

Hi, I run too - I find all exercise helps enormously with sleeping better at night and reducing anxiety and stress. My anxiety and palpitations are much worse if I'm NOT exercising. I do find that my energy and endurance can really vary these days - I'm not a fast runner anyway.

I have found it takes me a lot longer to cool down after a run. I shower and am still steaming/dripping sweat for ages afterwards! All the traditional advice about drinking lots of water, and having a protein/carb snack after a run makes more sense to me nowadays too. Otherwise I flag badly...

Good luck with your running, biking or other exercise (I love to walk too), it really does help such a lot with general health and mood.

Starfish x

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 10:41:43 AM »

Hello Petra.

I love to walk and at a fast pace but the increased sweating is annoying. I also took up jogging but I couldn't do it now. I wanted to say that I agree with you that the flushes and sweats are so much more than just feeling hot, more like a whole mind and body experience.

I hope that you can continue with your regime as it certainly seems to be helping you.

Take care.

K.

Briony

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 10:56:17 AM »

Hi Petra
I fully agree with what you're saying. I was a very experienced runner until my hormones objected. In fact, I ran 7 miles most days. Within a year, I had become someone who could hardly walk up the stairs when things were bad. Strangely, I don't get hot flushes, but cold ones, so I could be exercising and sweating, yet suddenly covered in goose bumps. Like you, I would immediately experience overwhelming fatigue and even nausea at the same time, which totally put me off exercise... so out of character. The sudden fatigue can be so debilitating and also frustrating as it goes as quickly as it comes. Had every possible test but eventually the docs have said it is all down to hormones. Am only 42 so goodness knows how long this will go on!
I really like your 'plod on' ethos ... I will remember that next time it all goes slow ! Xx

Petra

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 11:36:36 PM »

Thanks for the comments, and observations/things I hadn't thought of. (I'm still working out/working through how this impacts on exercise, actually...)

Yes @Starfish, I find I almost need to exercise more now, just to try to stay sane, even though it's much more of a roller coaster in terms of sudden exhaustion, even dizziness aka "hot flush." I'm experimenting with a homemade energy gel to take with me (2 parts honey to 1 part brown rice syrup and 1 part blackstrap molasses) to see if that helps with the Ugh-I-Want-To-Lie-Down-Right-Here-and-Die feeling. Also, smart observation about cooling down! I think that's right...sometimes I've felt like passing out in the shower after a run and I never used to before all this hormonal crap...

Oh @Meg, do YOU want to try HRT and if so, maybe find another doctor? (I'm one week into hrt -- had been on it some time ago and just returned because of unbearable night sweats and insomnia - so will see how/if it impacts on running etc.) I hope you find some relief somehow.

@Briony...I feel awful for you that this has stopped you from running. Maybe @Starfish's comment about snacking etc. could help, though I imagine you tried everything as we all tend to do. Cold flushes sound very strange (I do get chills AFTER a hot flush) -- i'm not sure what kind of climate you live in (it's temperate where I am), as in whether the outdoor temp is cold where you run. I do hope you can come back to it!

@Kathleen, Thanks. I do hope I can continue also. Though my adult life, running has been my "anti-depressant" treatment of choice. I'm convinced it has kept me (moderately) sane, or at least able to cope. Not to mention I do my best thinking while running...(though why do ideas seem so genius when you're running; not so genius when you try to implement them?)

Meg

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 03:50:35 AM »

Dear Petra

Just to add that many people seems to run to keep sane almost.  It must be to do with running off the adrenaline that women experience because of drop in oestrogen.  I am sure that men too have this impetus to run in order to try to overcome stress.  In my own case, I have not run but I have walked and walked in order to walk off the stress feeling.  I dread it if I was not able to do so.  It is like I have to be 'on the go' even if I feel like my joints are aching off!  It must be cortisol or adrenaline, wish I could relax more.  Thanks for your thoughtful reply, will see what the new year brings!

Meg