Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT question  (Read 2129 times)

lizzog

HRT question
« on: January 18, 2015, 01:25:58 PM »

Not been on the forum for a while as things have kind of levelled out. Been on HRT for a few years, and settled into Evorel 50 patches with a mirena coil for prog.
At the New Year I thought I'd try halving patches to 25 and see how I get on. I've not been sleeping, had a very heavy period, first in a few months, and feel like I'm dragging myself around with the fatigue.
I've upped the patch back to 50 after four weeks of the 25, as I can only think its the lower patch that was the problem.
I'm going to speak to my GP about it as I'm unsure when to reduce my HRT. I'm 50 next year so don't really think I can be on it much longer...
Anyone had a similar experience, and if so, how did you find it when you reduced your patch?

honeybun

Re: HRT question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 01:37:21 PM »

I am now down to half a combined patch. I just started to cut a tiny bit off at first and slowly increased the amount that I cut off over about six months or so.
I'm fine and don't notice much difference as I have done it so slowly. Maybe a tiny increase in feeling hot at night but that was never perfect even on the full patch.

Maybe try doing it very slowly and then your body adjusts gradually to the lesser amount.

Honeyb
X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 05:04:38 PM »

Hi lizzog
Why reduce or come off HRT??!!!! The average age to go into post menopause is between 53-55 so you've got years yet till you need to think about coming off HRT. The risks only really kick in if you continue to use HRT beyond 60 and even then the benefits often outweigh the risks
In fact you would probably benefit your bones and heart in the long term if you continued for at least the next 5 years! If you feel good on HRT then continue.
Do look at some of the latest info about the research - it should be under different headings under the 'Forum' - the benefits of using HRT have been underplayed e.g. HRT reduces your risk of bowel cancer!!! DG x

Morwenna

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 06:59:12 PM »

I agree with Dancinggirl - 50 is too young to experiment with reducing HRT dosage if you're planning to stay on it. It's difficult to know when the post-menopausal stage has arrived if you've been on HRT since peri-menopause, which is why GP's use 55 as a benchmark figure - most women have gone through the menopause by then. I am a few weeks away from 55 and have literally only just started a lower dose regime today.

lizzog

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 09:23:19 PM »

Thanks everyone for your really helpful replies  :)
I'm going to carry on the 50 patch as I realised how horrible I felt before I started on hrt!

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 09:28:37 PM »

I'm 54 and really don't want to be on HRT for the very long term. Why postpone the enevitable. Most Gps are going to want us off and stop prescribing. They may well be misinformed but that's the way it is at least for a while yet. I'm going to be prepared.

In my mind it's something that's going to happen eventually and it scares me a bit hence the reduction in my patches.......oh and I'm stock piling  ;D

Honeyb
X
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:30:12 PM by honeybun »