Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1698 times)

missjanecobb

Hello
« on: December 19, 2014, 06:44:30 PM »

Hi, my name is Jane, I'm 60, had my last period when I was 41. I took HRT since then but my new GP has now refused to continue prescribing it. Within a few weeks I was back to having horrendous night sweats, flushes, joint pains, my short term memory is appalling, no energy, libido non existent and vagina dry. My GP just shrugs and says to use a lubricant but that I can't expect to stay young forever. I'm at the point of finding an online source for HRT because life is just miserable without.

Dancinggirl

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 07:32:45 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM missjanecobb
You poor thing - your GP is clearly not clued up about the meno.
Do read the section in this link about HRT and the new recommendations.:
- http://www.womenshealthadvice.co.uk
It does say that women can take HRT beyond 60 but of course it is a mater of benefits versus risks and as long as you are fully informed then it should be your choice provided there are no health problems.
I would ask for a referral or, if you can afford it, go privately - I'm 58 and recently went privately to get advice and I'm trying HRT again after a one year break.
There are many ladies who use HRT well into their 70s and 80s. I'm afraid your GP is still following old advice.
I don't think you can actually get HRT without a prescription, even online.
BTW - at the very least your GP should have given you some vaginal oestrogen to help with the dryness and to prevent vaginal atrophy and bladder problems.
REad up all the info under the headings to the left of this page and also look at 'Forum and Website News'  which has some good links for current news re: the Meno.  You can find this under the Forum in yellow to the left of this screen.
Keep posting   DG x