Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: washing machine woes again  (Read 7679 times)

ariadne

washing machine woes again
« on: December 18, 2014, 10:58:29 PM »

My 7 month old Candy washing machine started displaying error E14 at the end of washes. Wasnt sure but I thought it might be the heating element as it didnt seem to be getting hot. This was the same problem I had had with my previous machine where the heating element had become covered in limescale and so i had been adding a scoop of soda crystals to every wash to soften the water and running a hot wash with white vinegar once a month in the hope of avoiding the problem with my new machine.

Turns out the problem wasnt limescale this time but undissolved soap powder due to me preferring the shorter low temperature washes over the longer hotter washes. I was also advised that i was using too much powder even though i only use one of the two soap tablets you are supposed to use. Apparently half a tablet is enough and I MUST use the hot wash once a week at least.

Ariadne xx

Dancinggirl

Re: washing machine woes again
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:40:08 AM »

How frustrating ::)
It always seems to be our fault that a machine goes wrong. We are being encouraged to use low temperature washes but then they don't design the machine to cope with this!!!!
Car mechanics are great at blaming the way we drive for various faults with our cars.
I have to say that I don't like using the low temperature washes as I never feel the clothes are properly clean - especially pants, bed sheets and towels. I know the latest trend to save the planet and energy is to use these low temperature washes but I really feel some heat is needed to kill bacteria. I tend to do a short wash at 60 degrees most of the time.
DG x

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 09:57:58 AM »

I find 60 degrees spoils some of the clothes but I do towels and bedding on 60 since our machine developed a stagnant smell that we were advised is the result of low temperature washing and non bio powder.

we use Calgon and have these sachets that you put through on a boil wash (without clothes) once a month to clean everything out.

thanks for the reminder ariadne, it is due a 'strip wash' and I will do it today. It saves on engineers call out bills :-)

rosebud57

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 10:00:46 AM »

Who did you buy it from?  I would say that after only 7 months it's 'not fit for purpose' and you should get your money back.  Try going online a checking your consumer rights.  I once had to quote the 'sale of goods act' to the manager of a Currys store when my brand new dishwasher failed to work.  I got my refund and have never bought from them again.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 10:20:01 AM »

Good advice rosebuds57.
I only buy from John Lewis these days because their customer support is so good.  I bought a Bosch Washing machine earlier this year and hated it - it didn't spin the clothes dry enough and the choice of cycle was annoying.  I phoned John Lewis and they let me change it.  I went back to Hotpoint - it's great.  Dg x

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 11:16:30 AM »

oh I missed the bit about the age, that is not good and I agree with rosebud.

We always had hotpoint and they lasted really well. We had Neff appliances fitted when we redid the kitchen 7 years ago and they are all still going really well.

My son advised that Beko and Candy are not particularly good makes.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 06:46:27 PM »

Have you noticed that the recommended 'low wash' adverts have gone from our screens?  There's a message there somewhere  ::) ……. I never took any notice! most of our wash is done at 50, sheets/towels at 60 and I use a specific wash for wool etc..  3 years ago I was finding that the towels were coming out soapy if on a low wash so upped the temperature and it worked. No more soapy towels.

7 months should enable you to get a new machine for nowt! 

ariadne

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 07:06:49 PM »

Can i just ask you all what your wash times are? My machine is a Candy GO DF. I have 2 low temperature washes- one 30 degrees - half an hour, the other 40 degrees- 45 minutes. Then, a 50 degree wash which takes  2 hours and a 60 degree wash which takes over 3 hours. There are other temperatures but all longer times.

I'd like the option of a shorter 60 degree wash cycle.  3 hours is just too long although the repair man did tell me that the time is adjusted during the wash, based on load weight - which I hadnt realised.

I am going to do more hot washes as advised and see how things go. My stepson has the same machine and hasnt had the same problem so maybe my habit of using the short low temperature washes is to blame.

Ariadne xx

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 08:20:22 PM »

I have a choice of every day washes at either 40 or 60 degrees. They both take 65 minutes.
I have all the other ones including eco wash. They all take so long so those are the two programmes that I generally use. With those two I can add in an intensive wash or a pre wash.

My old dad used to say the more buttons there are the more there is to go wrong. I'm inclined to agree. I use three washes. A 40 a 60 and a hand wash for wool and that's it.
When I buy a new machine I really do look for the simplest one I can get as no one I know ever uses all the functions so you are paying more than you should.

I once had an oven that cost me £1000 about twelve years ago. It was my must have. It was a combination. gas and electric and did so many things. I used a fraction of them and thought I would never make that mistake again.

It's difficult to resist the all singing all dancing models but we rarely use any of the functions.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 08:32:13 PM »

It is hard to buy a machine which offers a few programmes rather than the all singing all dancing  ::) and my machines seem to vary in their timings, dependant on how long it takes to heat up the water.  There are machines which apparently 'weigh' the load …….. I have the option of a double spin cycle too.