Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Doorstep milk delivery  (Read 16567 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Doorstep milk delivery
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 06:24:28 PM »

Would be a shame.  Taking milk away from being local and centering the sterilisation etc. is where the potential customer lost out …...

Ju Ju

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 06:28:56 PM »

Sadly, we haven't had any deliveries of milk for a long time and we buy it at the village shop. Sadly the village shop is now under threat as the owners wish to move on and have been unable to sell the business as a going concern and are looking to apply to have it changed to residential. We have a village meeting soon to look at the options. A couple of nearby villages are running their own shops as a community business. I suspect that will be discussed.

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 08:12:30 PM »

We lost our village shop years ago. People in my village love to complain, in fact I think they could complain for Scotland. They complain about the lack of a shop but did not support it while it was there. The post office has gone too.
We have a garage that sells a few bits and bobs, a Chinese Take away, a hairdresser is opening soon, and a plumber, oh and a deli which has only opened recently ......I give that six months max.

I hope you manage to keep your shop Ju Ju. It's the heart of a village.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 09:04:19 PM »

We have a village shop, a PO/shop, Church, Chapel, GP Surgery; a couple of halls that can rented for activities.  Woodland and long walks ……. closed town is 4 miles away in one direction, 7 in the other.  Bus route several times a day through here ………

Ju Ju

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 09:25:37 PM »

A town surely, CLKD! We have a pub, which has had a new lease of life with new owners, buses about 3 a day, but not useful if you need to get to school or work, a beautiful church, village hall, walks in any direction. When we first moved here, they held a doctors surgery twice a week in the pub! Now we have to travel to the nearest town, 3 miles away, which incidentally has half the population of our village. Lots going on in the village though. Lovely, beautiful place to live.

honeybun

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 10:19:30 PM »

We have a little church and a village hall. No doctors though. It's five miles away in our nearest town.

Ours is a funny village. They don't like incomers and the favourite activity is complaining  ::)

Honeyb
X

Dorothy

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 10:30:36 PM »

We have a little church and a village hall. No doctors though. It's five miles away in our nearest town.

Ours is a funny village. They don't like incomers and the favourite activity is complaining  ::)

Honeyb
X

I didn't know you lived in my village!   ;D  ;)

No milk delivery here but know someone in another village who has milk delivered and she uses an old coolbox which stops the birds pecking the tops and also keeps the milk cool if it comes when she is out.

honeybun

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 10:03:29 AM »

We have a pretty good ambulance service. One hospital is 15 miles the other is 25.

I couldn't live somewhere really busy. I like the quietness of the coast and countryside.

Honeyb
x

Millykin

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 10:44:56 AM »

I live near HB and use same hospitals, it's not as bad as it sounds really and the ambulance service is quick In our area. We are in quiet cleaky villages but I couldn't live in a busy area either. I love when I've been to the city shopping and drive home and when you get to the country roads you really appreciate the surroundings.

Milk almost frozen this morning!
X

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 01:38:01 PM »

Does anyone remember the blue tits on the foil tops, pecking them to get to the cream?

Never felt isolated however deeply in the countryside we have lived: in Wales we had a quarter of a mile walk to the phone box and were on the snow line.  Now we have good neighbours if necessary .  We have Air Ambulance if the worst happens, paramedics to hand …….. I would HATE to live in a busy environment. 

Our nearest Hospitals are 9, 15 and 20 miles away - when I had radiation treatment I travelled a 36 round daily trip for a 6 mins session  ::)

Hattie

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 02:37:19 PM »

Does anyone remember the blue tits on the foil tops, pecking them to get to the cream?

Bit sad that this will now become a memory - imho things change but not always for the better.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 03:02:29 PM »

Astrantia Hattie?

I wonder where the 1st bluetit found that cream was under that lid?

Hattie

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2015, 03:14:28 PM »

Yes got one in my garden - memory from a visit somewhere.

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2015, 03:17:23 PM »

They die back at this time of year, we have several which I love.  Ran out of space to plant any more though  ::) ……. Astrantia 'Ruby' is my favourite.

Hattie

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2015, 03:30:58 PM »

Mine is a pink one and white one - i can't remember the variety - i got it when i went to a gardens open day. A lot of my plants in the garden are linked to a memory of some sort.
Pages: 1 [2] 3