Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Doorstep milk delivery  (Read 16562 times)

Hattie

Doorstep milk delivery
« on: December 18, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »

Do any of you ladies still get doorstep milk delivery ? -just thinking i used to give a xmas present to our milkman who sadly for several years now has not come to us anymore as the delivery was stopped by the local dairy - we are in a rural area.

Prices were always higher bottle delivered - almost double - than the supermarket but i used to support the dairy by having some of our milk delivered.

Years ago we used to have all green top - unpasteurised - delivered. i still have xmas 'bell' decorations threaded on wool made with the tops for the xmas tree done by my kids at playgroup.

Hattie X

rosebud57

Re: Doorstep milk delivery
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:56:15 AM »

Stopped mine about 3 years ago.  The deliveries were quite late so when I was working it used to sit on the doorstep and cook in the summer (or get nicked).  Dairy went online so started doing my orders that way but if the Milkman missed me I had to prove it instead of just telling him.  That was the final straw.  No point paying more for a worse service.  Now get 4 pint plastic bottles from the supermarket.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:44:29 AM »

Sadly we buy ours from the supermarket or village shop.  However, supermarket milk makes better milk-shake bubbles - very important when I'm in my bath  ;D

We had a dairy near by but again, milk stood on the step and was yoghurt by evening.  I don't like milk anyway ……. DH makes porridge for breakfast.

Millykin

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 03:29:32 PM »

I get my milk delivered, have done for few years. Our service is great, it gets delivered about 4.30 am sometimes earlier! that's what i like about it so i dont have to panic about no milk for porridge in morning. The boys are great and i always tip them at xmas. We have a porch that is like a fridge summer and winter and they sit it in the nice cold spot in summer.

Scampi

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 03:34:07 PM »

With a husband who works away erratically, and a daughter who often doesn't know from one day to the next when she'll be at home (uni and friends!), our milk usage isn't consistent or predicable enough to get it delivered!

bramble

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 03:37:59 PM »

I have been getting it delivered for the past year. It's great to know that I always have milk!
Bramble

Hattie

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 03:56:19 PM »

It's nice to know that some is still being delivered - i would have carried on with it given the opportunity ours was coming from a small dairy - it had to snow really heavily for our milkman to ever let us down.

Since living here we have lost the milk delivery, shop and post office and the pub which closed for over 2 years - the pub now provides a small shop supplied by their cater van for the pub and a chap from the main post office comes once a week for a morning.

All sign of the times i guess when you can do most of it online now - although my husband always seems to be popping out for milk and stamps now   ;)

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 06:20:37 PM »

We still have ours delivered because I would hate for the service to stop but at almost 80p a pint it is expensive. Our dairy still uses glass bottles which I really like but during the next year they are being phased out and plastic cartons will be used instead.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 07:32:11 PM »

Like you Hattie ours stopped years ago (can't even remember how long ago) because we are in a rural area. I would so much prefer to have a doorstep delivery because the glass bottles are re-used rather than in plastic. Not only that I hate having to buy milk in plastic bottles because of the plasticisers in them which are what is known as "Xenoestrogens" and are having a detrimental effect on the environment not to mention unquantified and unknown effects on our own bodies.

When the delivery first stopped I used to buy organic milk from a local dairy from the supermarket in waxed cartons (ie tetrapacks which can be re-cycled like plastic can) - still cheaper than bottled milk - but none of the milk suppliers use these any more even the organic ones - all in plastic bottles. :(

Oh no Taz - that is terrible! So you will pay more money for a local service and get the plasticisers too! What a shame and I suppose it saves money from all the washing and sterilising....

Hurdity x

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 08:32:26 PM »

Supermarket these days. Think only one neighbour still gets milk delivered. Ours kept being attacked by birds.

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 10:54:33 PM »

The birds only attacked the silver top bottles where we are - they quickly learnt that semi-skimmed was in the red-topped bottles and left them alone. Canny things these birds! We used to leave empty yoghurt pots outside and the milkman would pop them on top of the full cream bottles.

Katsclaws - which dairy supplies your milk?

Taz  x

scriv

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 10:28:57 AM »

I would enjoy getting milk from a local farm, but over here in the town I got fed up of milk on the doorstep being costly and turning sour and not lasting long enough in the fridge. We switched to supermarket milk  and have not loooked back since.

Hattie

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 05:41:44 PM »

There have been several newspaper articles on the dairy industry lately - here is one of them

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jan/12/dairy-industry-crisis-falling-milk-prices-national-farmers-union

something doesn't feel right - some land a few miles from us was bought a few years ago and a dairy farm started up with a lot of investment in buildings etc. We have watched when we have gone out that way for a walk how intensively it is managed and how the herd has grown each year. This year the herd suddenly looked massive and i wondered how they were going to be housed in the winter - bit upsetting last week to see part of the herd outside in a deep muddy field being fed from stalls - a field that needs to recover for the grass in the spring. They had gone today when we walked by - i don't know where but you don't half feel guilty walking by a forlorn herd of cows when you know the price of milk now.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 05:48:33 PM »

You could have phoned the National Farmers' Union, local Vets., Environment Agency or RSPCA …… farms were going to be HUGE a few years ago, 1,000 beasts at a time.  Supposedly kept so that they could go in and out when they wanted to ………. imagine that in a F&M outbreak  :'(

Hattie

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 05:56:54 PM »

I did think of doing that CLKD but held back - my former self might have done but i don't go looking for trouble nowadays.

I wouldn't be suprised to see this farm go under.
Pages: [1] 2 3