Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New member  (Read 2381 times)

Jenna

« on: December 17, 2014, 02:21:27 PM »

Hello everyone -I just want to thank you for all the wonderful information on this site, which I have been reading for many months now.
I am almost 60 and I had my last period when I was just 49. My main problem is atrophic vaginitis, which was eventually diagnosed by a lovely, newly qualified GP 5 years ago, but I believe that I had been suffering for many years beforehand on and off, and had been prescribed the usual antibiotics and thrush treatments like so many of you! I started on Ortho-Gynest pessaries (please bring them back!), and at the moment I have Ovestin cream, now that Gynest cream has been discontinued (although a generic form is now available).
I could write a book on this, but I think that is enough for now!
My best wishes to you all.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 03:26:10 PM »

:welcomemm:  you write away!  there's usually someone here to listen  ;)

Does the prescription help your symptoms?

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 03:28:52 PM »

:welcomemm:

Nice to have you with us.

Have you considered using Vagifem?

Honeyb
x

Jenna

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 04:07:38 PM »

Hi CLKD and honeybun (I feel as if I know you already!),
Thank you for the welcome!
I also use 'Yes' water-based lubricant (my GP prescribed Sylk, but this irritated, so I now have 'Yes') on the 5 days I can't use Ovestin and although I haven't used this combination for very long, it seems to keep me comfortable (able to walk, sit down etc., -what a life!).
I did try Vagifem for about three days, but I started to feel uncomfortable and dry with my symptoms coming back. My GP had given me a prescription for that when the Ortho-Gynest pessaries were discontinued, but would only let me start after I had had a hysteroscopy for a thickened uterus (results were OK!) and the gynae gave me the go-ahead. (Long story short!) The gynae said to use Gynest cream after I had finished the Vagifem (but I didn't get that far!) as it would be more soothing being a cream. And of course that has now been discontinued, which is why I now have Ovestin!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 04:29:33 PM »

I LOVED my O-G pessaries - I have 2 left, wonder what they are worth now  ::)

I used the cream last night and my bladder has felt irritated all day  >:(