Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: utrogestan and night time hunger.  (Read 8129 times)

Dandelion

utrogestan and night time hunger.
« on: December 09, 2014, 11:02:57 PM »

Can I start taking utrogestan on a morning?
It doesn't make me sleepy.
It's just that I had a big tea, but about nine oclock I got ravenously hungry and ate an egg sandwich, meaning I take the utro at one in the morning, which is ok, as I dont mind that time of night.
I am hungry again, so I have just had a cuppa coffee, hope this will be ok, cant see a cuppa stopping absorption, but interesting to see others views.
The wait time on a night before taking utro often makes me really hungry.

honeybun

Re: utrogestan and night time hunger.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 11:23:10 PM »

Maybe best to adjust when you eat as it does say to take at night.

If you use it as a pessary though you don't have to bother about when you eat.

Honeyb
x

Dandelion

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 11:35:44 PM »

Maybe best to adjust when you eat as it does say to take at night.

If you use it as a pessary though you don't have to bother about when you eat.

Honeyb
x
Mine are oral.
Do you just shove it up as far as it will go?
Can you do both (vag some days oral others, say when I eat late.)
thanks for getting back to me

Dandelion

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 12:13:57 PM »

Just insert it as you would do with a tampon.

I don't suppose it would hurt to use the odd capsule vaginally if you feel you absolutely have to eat late but why don't you just have your evening meal later??
Hi

When on utro, I have my meal, normally about 8, so I can eat my utro capsules about midnight,  but I sometimes get hungry in that time gap.
Thanks for telling me I can sometimes insert my capsules vaginally.
One more question, what do you mean when you say insert like a tampon, as the tampons are a different shape.
Would I just put the pill on the end of my finger and shove it up my chuff that way?

thanks

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 01:09:26 PM »

Theres nothing to it, just shove it in and go to sleep :)

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 01:25:26 PM »

Hi Dandelion

If you insert it different ways throughout one cycle it may possibly affect the levels of progesterone in your bloodstream and therefore affect your bleeding if the levels fluctuate too much. It won't do you any harm but it just might mean levels are less consistent. Therefore if your levels are going to vary anyway then why not just eat as normal and take your utrogestan when you go to bed.

Re insertion - yes just put it on your finger and poke it up as far as you can!

Re taking it with food. I have read scientific studies showing that taking it with food results in a higher serum concentration of progesterone - so really it's not going to do you any harm, and is not going to interfere with the absorption, but the opposite.

http://www.mialundin.se/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Micronized-progesterone-and-endometrial-cancer.pdf (haven't read all of this!)

Hurdity x

Dandelion

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 09:25:57 PM »

Hi Hurdity and Cassie

Thanks for your replies
Thanks, Hurdity for that pdf.
Thanks also for letting me know how far up I should shove it, if I decide to go vaginal, that was going to be my next question.
I was  having issues with eating at tea time and waiting for four  hours, as I was getting hungry in hours 3 and 4.

X

Dandelion

Sorry to bump an old thread
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 09:51:06 PM »

When taking utrogestan vaginally, does it increase the dose in any way.
I need to know, because I am tapering off valium and progesterone is cross tolerant with valium, and I am currently taking it orally.
I am interested in taking it vaginally, but I don't want to increase the dose by doing so, as it will mess with my valium taper, due to both substances acting on the same receptor.
If any one can help that would be great thatnks

Dandelion

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 04:07:22 PM »

A question for a medical expert I would say!

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 07:30:39 PM »

Hi Dandelion

Not a simple question to answer!

Taken vaginally, more progesterone gets into the system than when used orally for the same dose. However when used orally the metabolic breakdown products (metabolites) are different, and from what I recall it is these metabolites (from oral use) that can have a depressive effect and have some connection with the GABA receptors. I can't remember off hand - but it is for this reason that many women get worse side effects from oral use than vaginal.

So you would increase the systemic amount (by taking it vaginally) but probably reduce the amount of the metabolites that maybe acting on the receptors you are talking about. From memory maybe it's pregnenalone or allopregnanolone. Sorry - I did read about this somewhere but can't recall the details.

Hurdity x

Dandelion

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 06:53:30 PM »

Hi Dandelion

Not a simple question to answer!

Taken vaginally, more progesterone gets into the system than when used orally for the same dose. However when used orally the metabolic breakdown products (metabolites) are different, and from what I recall it is these metabolites (from oral use) that can have a depressive effect and have some connection with the GABA receptors. I can't remember off hand - but it is for this reason that many women get worse side effects from oral use than vaginal.

So you would increase the systemic amount (by taking it vaginally) but probably reduce the amount of the metabolites that maybe acting on the receptors you are talking about. From memory maybe it's pregnenalone or allopregnanolone. Sorry - I did read about this somewhere but can't recall the details.

Hurdity x
Thanks hurdity, it is pregnenalone or allopregnanolone, both words are used.
Am I right in saying that vaginal delivery gets past the 'first pass' metabolism through the liver? sorry to ask another question.

Dandelion

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 06:56:24 PM »

Hi, I'm tapering off another benzo drug and I was having horrendous withdrawals with utrogestan, I changed to the Mirena coil and my taper has been a breeze in comparison. I would be very surprised if your GP is clued up on this sort of thing to be honest, I only found out from benzo buddies forum. I'm now down to 425mcg xanax from 3000mcg, this taper will have taken me a year to finish and I truly believe that it's because of the constant progesterone from the mirena.

Good luck with your taper, I know how hellish it can be.
Thank you for this reassuring post, I just hope I don't need a hysterectomy.