Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: I utterly despair  (Read 4391 times)

Dandelion

I utterly despair
« on: December 07, 2014, 09:36:39 PM »

Dancinggirl

Re: I utterly despair
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:21:47 AM »

Oh dear Dandelion - yet another scare!!! ::)
I do wish papers would give a proper account of how this trial came to this conclusion.
The scary percentages are probably misrepresented as well.
DG x

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:53:42 AM »

I find the Daily Mail is good for scaremongering. I only buy it occasionally for the puzzle supplement as I do like their cryptic crossword.  the rest of it goes on the floor for the muddy boots. I won't read it or I get worked up about something, this is an example  >:(

Dandelion

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 10:20:15 AM »

Sadly, though, there are probably a lot of daily mail readers who will believe this.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 10:50:38 AM »

Unfortunately it's this kind of stuff that fuels the anti HRT lobby.
There was so much scaremongering with the contraceptive pill for years yet they have had to keep quiet about this because they want to prevent unwanted pregnancies. After I had my first baby they couldn't wait to get me back of the Pill!!!!
Why can't there be press stories about how beneficial HRT can be for many women and about some of the positive preventative pluses?
At least the Mail did that article about all those professional women who are taking HRT and the new advice about giving HRT earlier.
DG x

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 11:19:27 AM »

It wasn't just in the Daily Mail last year it was in a lot of papers, I followed it up as my OH has had a brain tumour and I was interested, the brain tumour they talk about are meningiomas and usually benign as OH's was.

Here is a scientific report   http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/164/7/629.full

Conclusion

"Our study supports the hypothesis that exogenous female steroid hormones may play a role in the occurrence of meningioma. Further studies are needed to confirm these results and to make distinctions between progesterone and estrogen usage. Whether steroid hormones influence the growth of tumors or are involved in tumorigenesis remains to be elucidated"

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 11:36:09 AM »

We are a mix of hormones from the day of conception ……… I don't think we need to worry too much about what the papers 'say'  ;)

Dandelion

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 11:37:14 AM »

Sorry to hear about your husband Silverlady.

Even if this was true, I would still like to have the choice as to whether I want hrt or not.
I would run the risk, because to me, a shortened life with better moods and no meno symptoms would be better than a longer miserable life.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 11:39:34 AM »

I agree; quality is important! and would be cheaper for the NHS in the long run.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »

Is Utrogestan a steroid hormone? I know that most of the progesterones in HRT preparations are derived from testosterone or are synthetic. As Utrogestan is bio identical (Dr. Curry describes it as more breast friendly) perhaps it's these non bio identical progesterones that are the issue - in which case some more research into Utrogestan versus other progesterone is needed.
DG x

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 01:18:42 PM »

Unfortunately, many newspapers are more interested in selling newspapers, than in the truth, correct details, balanced views or indeed people. Apparently bad news sells better than good news.

Rowan

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 01:23:16 PM »

All sex hormone preparations produced by our bodies or synthetic and bioidenticals are steroids hormones.

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/H/HormoneTable.html

Rowan

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 01:38:46 PM »

Newspapers (not just the Daily Mail) just report findings, when they report what we want them too, or support our beliefs then we praise them. When they report unsettling news we have problems with it. 

I personally like to know all the pros and cons of everything and welcome information even if I don't like it.

Scientist who publish "papers" are just as self interested and the prestige that goes with it (as well as getting their Grants)

The link I posted was from a scientific "Paper" and findings.

Another link

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/type/brain-tumour/about/brain-tumour-risks-and-causes
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:14:45 PM by silverlady »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 03:56:25 PM »

It's the sensationalist, unbalanced reporting that is so dangerous. Newspapers so often take things out of context and blow things up out of all proportion.
Even the BBC News is often guilty of not giving us a truly balanced view on things - I often scream at the television when I hear news items that are clearly not giving the balanced view on many things.
I've learned to be very sceptical about so many things that are reported to be true and accurate.
DG x