Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Side effects Femoston 1/10  (Read 7465 times)

humming-bird

Side effects Femoston 1/10
« on: December 04, 2014, 08:47:38 PM »

My GP recently started me on hrt because of sweats/anxiety/ mood swings, I am 47 years old and have had peri symptoms for past two years.  Had to stop taking Elleste Duet because of severe migraine on day four of prog tablets and was switched to Femoston 1/10.  Absolutely fine on oestrogen only tabs, am on day five of prog tabs and have bloating, abdo pain and symptoms of cystitis without the burning.  I am trying to persevere, but it's hard with these symptoms, then today have started bleeding. Has anyone else had similar symptoms? Do they pass?

Dancinggirl

Re: Side effects Femoston 1/10
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 09:44:19 PM »

Hi hummingbird
I have to say these are not typical side effects for HRT.  I often takes 3-6 months for things to settle with any HRT. The progesterone part of any HRt can be challenging but the cystitis symptoms could well be a mild UTI and this could give abdominal discomfort.  HRT doesn't usually cause a UTI but in fact should help reduce the chance of a UTI as it helps prevent vaginal atrophy. One of the problems with being in the peri meno stage is that your own hormones will be fluctuating and this can give symptoms at times.
I would persevere as many of these things will settle down.  Femoston is a good HRt to be on as the progesterone in it is one of the kindest and well tolerated by many women.
Try drinking half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a glass of water (can be flavoured with cordial) 3 times a day for a couple of days.  Make sure you drink plenty of fluids generally for a few days and see if the helps.  Dg x

Millykin

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 11:45:04 AM »

I'm on Femoston 1/10 and find it good. Funnily enough I feel better on the prog part of it,
X

Morwenna

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 12:54:26 PM »

I'm on Femoston 2/10 which seems to suit me but I also feel better when taking the combined oestrogen/progesterone tabs.

Millykin

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 01:41:17 PM »

Morwenna
Funny that isn't it when a lot of people don't ! It would be good if I could move to the conti version but that's for post meno so have to wait a while...I'm 44 so think it's about 54 classed as post meno? Not sure
X

Morwenna

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 12:00:59 PM »

Morwenna
Funny that isn't it when a lot of people don't ! It would be good if I could move to the conti version but that's for post meno so have to wait a while...I'm 44 so think it's about 54 classed as post meno? Not sure
X

The definition of post menopause is if under the age of fifty you have had two clear years without periods, or one year clear over the age of fifty. Of course this is difficult to establish if like me you have been on sequential HRT that induces a period every 28 days so age 54 is used as a benchmark figure. There are ladies on here though Millykin who have been put on conti HRT younger than this even if they haven't had a hysterectomy, so it's worth asking about.

That said, I asked my GP if I could change to continuous HRT a couple of months ago (as I'm nearly 55) but he was reluctant to let me and said something vague along the lines of 'it's difficult to know the best time to move to continuous therapy, let's get your other problem sorted first'. My 'other problem' being bladder symptoms I now know to have been caused by VA.

The only thing that concerns me about moving to Femoston Conti is it's only manufactured in a 1mg version whereas I'm on 2mg at present so it would mean a reduction in oestrogen for me. I am however prepared to give it a go and as Vagifem seems to have sorted my bladder out, let's see what my illustrious GP says next time!

renee

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 02:41:13 PM »

Reading through these posts and Im shocked at how many woman in there 40's are going through the menopause! Im only saying this as I had bloods taken 3 years ago when I was 45 to find I too was menopausal.....I always thought that it was just women in their 50's, I sure am learning these past few years!!! 😆😆