Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Vaginal Discharge After Menopause (Not on HRT) Sign Of Atrophy?  (Read 25939 times)

Machair

Vaginal Discharge After Menopause (Not on HRT) Sign Of Atrophy?
« on: November 26, 2014, 10:49:39 AM »

I am wondering ladies what happens to vaginal discharge after menopause? If you have atrophy did you get any kind of associated discharge?

I ask because I am still having irregular periods and did manage a long gap once so know I am approaching the end, but most days I do have a pale yellow discharge just like I always used to before peri and some days it can be quite watery.

I know this can also be the start of atrophy but wondered if any ladies that have had atrophy saw a discharge or if they were just dry all the time. I have a friend who told me she is being treated for atrophy as she had a yellow brown discharge on her pants at the end of the day all the time. I don't have this, but I do have a pale yellow one intermittently which looks just like as if I was still fertile but maybe I am not?

scriv

Re: Vaginal Discharge After Menopause (Not on HRT) Sign Of Atrophy?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 05:29:34 PM »

I had a very watery discharge that reminded me of a very pale urine leak. I was really worried about it, but was told that it was a symptom of atrophy. It went once I was on the Vagifem regime.

Maryjane

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 05:57:07 PM »

Yes it's a sign of Atrophy.....but don't assume may be worth getting a swab taken.

yellowjo

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 06:05:54 PM »

I too have a bit of discharge most days (have done since early September). It's usually pale yellow, thick and gluey... (sometimes white) just like the discharge I used to get when ovulating. I'm post menopausal and haven't had a period for at least two years. I had investigations (hysteroscopy/D&C, copper coil removal) in January this year and was given the all clear. After that I had no discharge at all until September. I saw my GP and she took swabs (negative) and examined me. She didn't think it was anything to worry about. I still worry, though! Plagued with low level anxiety these days. I've also experienced watery discharge occasionally. I don't really know what atrophy is. Must look it up now. Let us know how it goes, Machair!

scriv

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 06:47:33 AM »

To give an extremely oversimplified explanation, jo - dryness and shrinkage of the female organs!

yellowjo

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 01:22:07 PM »

Thanks, Scriv. I don't seem to be experiencing this dryness/shrinkage (yet!!!). When my GP examined me in September, she said that both my vagina and cervix looked healthy and that their appearance was normal and not like a postmenopausal woman. Just wonder why I keep getting this discharge. I would just like to know if other post-menopausal women experience this.

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 04:01:16 PM »

Hello ladies.

All types of discharge stopped for me when my periods finished four years ago however since using HRT I have noticed its return. I began to wonder if using Utrogestan vaginally was causing a problem with my fibroid so I have recently gone back to taking the tablets orally and I have noticed a reduction in discharge and it is paler. The point I want to make is that I have never had any pain or discomfort associated with vaginal atrophy so I wonder just how much of an association there is between the two, in other words vaginal discharge is not necessarily a sign of VA.

Obviously we are all different but I thought it was worth posting my experiences for anyone who is interested.

Best wishes ladies.

K.

scriv

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 09:23:48 AM »

I had no pain with VA until the tissue became so dry that it became sore. It's a miserable time, isn't it, all this.

gilaray

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 06:38:15 PM »

I would say that discharge is not a sign of VA, the opposite in fact. VA is when everything dries up and is sore. I have always had a lot of discharge and still do though not as much now.

Maryjane

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 10:35:29 PM »

Sorry.....to disagree but there is a very typical type of watery discharge that you can get with VA, I took a photo of mine disgusting I know but I was desperate for the gynae to see what I was and after examing me and looking at the pics she said that is typical VA discharge.

scriv

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 05:16:26 PM »

I was told the same as Maryjane about my watery ischarge being a typical sympton of VA.

dahliagirl

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 02:40:04 PM »

Vaginitis is associated with atrophy, and that is not dry.