Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hibernation  (Read 10427 times)

honeybun

Re: Hibernation
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2014, 07:35:29 PM »

I don't want to wish my year away but I wish I could be enthusiastic about the colour grey  :o

Any ideas?

Honeyb
x

babyjane

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2014, 08:16:49 PM »

well I am certainly looking at my garden with different eyes thanks to Taz2's description, well I was earlier I mean before it got too dark  :)

Taz2

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 08:19:08 PM »

:)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 08:20:52 PM »

Stokes up the fire  :whist:  in the 'wild' we would rise with the sun and go to bed at dusk regardless of time of year …….. more 'natural' then trying to keep time with the alarm clock!  However, I'm glad we've moved out of the cave   ::) ………

Hurdity

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 08:23:17 PM »

Interesting thoughts...

It's not dull and grey here - I live for the bright crisp winter days - today was one such - well not quite winter yet. Beautiful sunshine and light, and amazing colours of the leaves. Wild branches waving in the wind. Also lucky to live not far from the sea - 20 mins drive so the waves and storms are fantastic - bound to make you feel good. I love the summer too and get excited when the year turns, (winter solstice - sorry Taz!)  but then I like all the turns of the seasons. To me there is something about each time of year that appeals so you just have to look for it. OK I am really tired a lot of the time now but it doesn't mean I want to hibernate!

Honeybun yes you live by the sea - but I think it's probably to do with your situation more than the time of year - I think the greyness and cold can make one less able to deal with life's problems. Also you mention the low light - I've just looked it up and for those in Scotland your day in Glasgow is nearly an hour shorter than mine near Exeter!  it;s also much colder! No wonder you want to hibernate!

Glasgow sunrise: 8.33
sunset 3.44

Exeter sunrise 8.02
sunset 4.09

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 08:25:01 PM »

That's it - I'm moving!! Actually I've noticed that on the Woolacombe webcam. Much lighter there than here in the late afternoon.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 08:27:50 PM »

But surely as the Earth moves it will be lighter in the North again - eventually  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 08:30:45 PM »

Ah yes - I constantly have this conversation with my friend who lives in The Orkneys. She says it is ideal for me in the winter but in the summer I would have to move back down south.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 08:31:51 PM »

;D  camper van then Taz?  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2014, 08:59:12 PM »

I have always felt the same in the winter so can't really blame my circumstances at all.

Yes we have short days but it's the constant grey skies and grey water and just grey everything that pulls you down.

Wishing for some winter sunshine but not holding my breath  ::)

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 10:45:00 PM »

I don't want to wish my year away but I wish I could be enthusiastic about the colour grey  :o

Any ideas?

50 shades of....... ;D

Its just downright dreich!

Dulciana

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 10:16:18 PM »

I have to do at least a couple of organ practices a week at the church, on top of my home practising.  At this time of the year, in between services, it can get absolutely icy in the church because it's a high, stone building.  A wall of cold can hit you when you open the door into the church, from the corridor.  I have been known to sit at the organ dressed like the Michelin (wo)man and on one occasion, I remember having to stop after an hour because I thought I was going to freeze over (and that's with my blow-heater on beside me)!  These are the times I envy those little hibernating doormice.................... :)   
Pages: 1 [2]