Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: 2015 and the next few years - how optimistic are you?  (Read 8238 times)

Stellajane

2015 and the next few years - how optimistic are you?
« on: December 05, 2014, 10:14:55 AM »

I have to say I'm not optimistic at all. I'm an avid follower of blogs on the global economy and things are looking pretty dire. All rather depressing as its the year we've decided to retire! 

Yesterday the Radio 4 'Today' programme was unusually downbeat about how George Osborne is glossing over reality, and for once actually sounded much like the bloggers I follow.

I hear today that Osborne has slammed them for being so negative. To me that says it all!

babyjane

Re: 2015 and the next few years - how optimistic are you?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »

I am trying not to look too far ahead otherwise I fret myself into depression over things I cannot control or change.

I am trying to remember that we have survived everything that this country has gone through in the last 58 years of our lives and we will survive and manage for as long as we last. We just adjust our life according to what we have at the time which has never been a great deal.  What we haven't had we don't miss.

Scampi

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 10:30:17 AM »

Ask me again when we know what colour the Downing Street gates are on 8 May!!  I'm not going to reveal or discuss political leanings on a forum such as this, but my feelings regarding the coming years a very much dependant on the election result.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 02:35:14 PM »

To be honest as long as I have my family around me fit and well I really don't give a stuff. Why fret about things you can't control. All we can do is make the best of what we have.
There are so many more important things in my life other than the state of my bank account.
If my hubby is lucky enough to respond to his medical treatment then I will feel the luckiest person in the world. If not then it will be even more important to make the most of whatever we have

I just live for now.

Honeyb
x

Hattie

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 03:16:16 PM »

:hug:   Honeybun you are under a lot of strain at the moment.

Hattie X

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 03:47:28 PM »

:thankyou:

You are probably right. Kind of puts things into perspective.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 04:29:51 PM »

After last couple of years I'm just happy to take things as they come. My family are most important thing now & forever.  :)

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 05:06:31 PM »

But do you not think that you just play the hand you are dealt. The Government will be the Government that is elected and either that will be great as you voted for them or not if you didn't.
Either way you make the best of whatever happens.

We really have no way of influencing the wider issues but can make the best of what we end up with.
Our parents lived through the way years and nothing can be as bad as that......so count your blessings is what I think.

Honeyb
x

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 05:08:56 PM »

It is a very wise way of looking at things honeybun as we can't change the bigger picture, we can only make changes to our own situation if any changes are needed. I have spent years fretting and worrying and nothing I have worried about has ever happened. I have wasted so much time and nervous energy I have now decided to go with the flow.

tiger74

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 09:44:08 PM »

Wise words honeybun.

Carpe diem.

Our advice to our kids will be "live small" and avoid taking on any new debt.

Also wise words, IMHO.  Apart from our mortgage, we've never taken on any loans/debt.  If we couldn't afford it we didn't have it when I was a child and this has carried on throughout my adulthood, fortunately hubby was brought up the same way.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 01:45:53 PM »

We had a mortgage.  Occasionally we had short-term loans for a car which were paid up within 12 months.  Otherwise we have spent wisely.  Never had to 'save up' for stuff because what we couldn't afford we didn't buy.  Never thought we would be able to afford a camper van  ::) nor be a 2-car family nor have a house and garden - in fact we couldn't afford to move into our Estate now  ;D

I had the best time with regard Education: went through School before OfSTED was even thought of  ::) - when teachers were allowed to teach and kids were allowed to learn as they went along rather than having the subject stuffed down their throats! with no option to re-cap.  I had the best time with regards Health care - when Family Doctors were that.  However, don't get me started on the dentist   :D   :-X …. when there was more fresh fruit/veg available which was seasonal …….

My anxiety is internal.  I have accepted that I can't alter World events even if I donated to Charity so I try to do a good deed daily - maybe like a pebble in a puddle the ripples with spread  ;)