Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Qlaira to control peri fluctuations - any experiences?  (Read 5688 times)

Briony

Qlaira to control peri fluctuations - any experiences?
« on: December 01, 2014, 06:39:59 PM »

Just seen a great new GP for a routine check up who agreed that HRT could actually be exacerbating my symptoms to some degree (just had a horrendous weekend of nausea and fatigue around the time of ovulation). She has suggested that I may need something to suppress my own crazy hormones while providing a sensible dose of estrogen. I can't take the combined pill because of migraines with aura. However, she has agreed to let me try Qlaira (if the HRT doesn't work out after the 3 month trial) on the basis that there is "no realistic alternative" for me. She said it's a new type of contraceptive using the same estogen as HRT rather than the standard pill's more synthetic stuff and suggested it's an ideal stepping stone for women in peri menopause with fluctuating rather than 'always low' estrogen. Would love to know if anyone has any experiences of this pill? All I know is what appears on this site under the Contraception heading.

x

karenja

Re: Qlaira to control peri fluctuations - any experiences?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 07:00:31 PM »

sounds interesting never heard of that one x

Liz

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 07:47:53 PM »

I read about that...... think the Progesterone is synthetic, though, as opposed to the natural Utrogestan.  Not that it's a problem if you're OK with synthetics.

Briony

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 07:53:39 PM »

That's my concern (re the progesterone). Guess I have to balance that with the benefits of suppressing my natural cycle (which HRT doesn't seem to be doing). Saw a great GP in her 40s. She said this is far better tolerated than other CCPs. but it's not widely publicised as it's so expensive. Was sooooo nice to see a sympathetic, well informed doctor. I wanted to hug her as I left! x

Liz

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 07:55:53 PM »

It would be worth a try, I'd say.  I know what you mean about the HRT not suppressing your cycle during peri.  I'm having the same problem, on/off spotting and bleeding through the Oestrogen phase....... this month I've ended up bleeding more than before I went on the HRT...... very annoying!!!

peegeetip

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 08:26:52 PM »

Without seeming to repeat myself 3 months is way too short a period for trying things out.
It took me 6 months plus to get into the groove with my HRT...

As for the Qlaira, it is estradiol valerate and dienogest mix.

The estradiol (mentioned as valerate version on some sites) is the same as the HRT options you see on this site.

The dienogest is the progesterone portion of the pill and is a 4th generation Progesterone.
The newer 3rd and 4th generation ones are supposed to be closer to our own hormone.

However this is a multiphasic pill which means that there are different levels of estrogen and dienogest during the month to give you the added preventative part of the pill :)

Qlaira contains 28 tablets in total over the month contain the following:

2 dark yellow tablets each containing 3mg estradiol valerate
5 medium red tablets each containing 2mg estradiol valerate and 2mg dionogest
17 light yellow tablets each containing 2mg estradiol valerate and 3mg dienogest
2 dark red tablets each containing 1mg estradiol valerate
2 white tablets do not contain any active substances

Please keep in mind that a low dose HRT tends to have 1mg estradiol valerate each day over the full 28 days for comparison.

Hope you get success soon but don't be too impatient and give yourself time before jumping onto a new option.

:-*

Briony

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 10:14:21 PM »

Peegeetip, thanks so much. You talk a lot of sense  :) I will definitely aim to persevere with the HRT as it's my preferred option. The new pill was only an option suggested if my current symptoms don't calm down. The fatigue and nausea are really affecting my daily life this week - was like a zombie at work for parts of the day today. Covered in spots too. What I don't know if it's caused by the HRT or if it's part of the initial reason I sought help (had these symptoms a few months ago pre HRT). So frustrating.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply - really appreciated x

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 10:17:48 PM »

If you put it into the search box (the one in the blue bar at the top left of the page is the best I've found) it will bring up any other posts about it.

Taz x  :)

peegeetip

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 09:39:09 AM »

On the topic of spots.

I had them before my HRT started :)

If you ask your doctor for a mild antibiotic + hydrocortisone cream to help calm that down.
Using the cream has helped me and spots are less of an issue now.

:-*