Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hair Loss in Menopause  (Read 20711 times)

Lynne888

Re: Hair Loss in Menopause
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2014, 10:35:12 AM »

Have to say, it never entered my head about the Provera because I only take it for 12 days every 3 months.  This means I am free of the pill for 3 months and my hair loss is still as bad though out that time.. it doesn't slow down or anything?

Lynne888

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2014, 01:41:12 PM »

I will tell my GP but I have to take something because I get a thickened lining from the Vagifrem. Yes I know it says you shouldn't but I do! It has to be shed every 3 months.

karin

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 04:33:09 PM »

My recent hairloss tied in exactly with doing a 3 month trial of hrt- norithisterine side effect is hairloss

Lynne888

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 09:50:59 PM »

I've been thinking about what a few of you have said regarding the Provera possibly causing hair loss. As I only take 12 and then have 3 months off, it seems unlikely  so I have been looking at other medication I take daily.  I take candestarten for blood pressure and googled it to find one of the side effects is alopecia. I shall speak to the doctor but it took ages to find a blood pressure tablet that I could actually tolerate so if it IS the blood pressure pills, I'm going to be in a mess trying to find an alternative!

Lynne888

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 12:16:21 PM »

Well I'm not great with medication anyway. I have allergies and reactions to so many. Dental blocks do not work on me, they have to give me enough to knock an elephant out and then it starts wearing off before the work is complete! Scary! I must have tried dozens of BP tablets. It would tie in with the candestarten. The hair loss started around the time I began taking them and I have upped them this past few months, just when the hair loss got even worse.  I will be seeing my GP next week so we will see what she thinks. 

Lynne888

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 03:05:46 PM »

I've been the see my GP today so I can update you on my hair loss situation. Firstly, she has changed my blood pressure tablets just in case they ARE causing me a hair loss problem but also, the tablets were making me itch something chronic. I have been up in the night it has driven me to distraction.  You may recall I had recently had my medication increased and the side effects have got worse since. GP is not sure that the blood pressure meds are causing the hair loss directly but it seems I have psoriasis on my scalp which will be caused by the medication. I didn't even know I had psoriasis on my scalp. I know that sounds mad but I was aware that I had what I thought was dandruff for the first time in my life but didn't realise it could be anything else :o Reading online it says that if these pills cause psoriasis and in turn the psoriasis causes hair loss, it won't be permanent (even though I'm sure my hair could never fully recover back to what is was).  I have to use steroid cream for 2 weeks, try out the new BP tablets (which tend to make me ill for a while) and then go back and see her. We live very rurally so our GP surgery dishes out the medication as well and they didn't have any of the stuff I was prescribed so I have to go back tomorrow to collect them. I'm not keen on starting the BP tablets on Christmas eve as they invariably make me ill initially so I might leave them for a few days ;)

Lynne888

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 10:49:15 PM »

Thanks Stelajane. I didn't take any medication over Xmas and still haven't. Hair loss seems worse and so does the itching. I know both are meno issues so maybe it is nothing to do with medication and all to do with menopause symptoms :( If things carry on like this I can't imagine I'll have much hair (if any) left this time next year.

Lynne888

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 11:18:31 PM »

I have been fortunate that I have not had bad hot flushes.. it's about the only thing I haven't had! I DO get flushes but I can't say they are that bad where I end up wringing wet or anything.  Not sure about the vagifem. I would be terrified to leave it off because the main reason I take it is frequent urination which absolutely ruined my life. I couldn't go out of the house and at it's worst went to the loo up to 70 times a day  :o I have tried the estring but didn't get on with it. I'm wondering if this itching will pass. I've had it in the past and it's gone on for weeks and then just gone away for no apparent reason. I've just had blood tests done so hopefully, if anything is wrong it will throw something up.  I have to see GP again in 2 weeks so if things are as bad I shall speak to her about it.  Not sure if the stuff I'm using for psoriasis is making itching worse or if it would just be localised to the head?  I'm sure drink doesn't help! I've left it off for a few days now!

Jenna

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 10:36:40 AM »

Hi Lynne,

I'm sorry to say but I have read that hair loss can be a side-effect of Vagifem, as can vaginal yeast infections (if this is the itching you might have). Apologies if you already know this.

I have also had a severely dry scalp for the past year. My GP prescribed Capasal shampoo, but I think it made it worse. At the time it first appeared I was just taking my blood pressure tablets - I am not sure what is causing it! I am using an argan oil shampoo at the moment and my scalp isn't quite as bad.

I hope you can get sorted! Please let us know how you get on.

Jenna x

Hurdity

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2014, 11:19:49 AM »

Where have you read this Jenna - it's a new one on me and not listed in the Summary of Product Characteristics for vagifem? So very little is absorbed into the system especially once you are "plumped up" that it's difficult to imagine any serious effect like this.

Hurdity x

Jenna

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2014, 11:34:32 AM »

Hi Hurdity,

I read it here https://www.vagifem.com/about/how-it-works

What do you think?

Jenna x

Hurdity

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2014, 11:57:12 AM »

Hi Jenna

I can see that it says so there, which is the N American Menopause Society but it is confusing! However looking at the link they give to prescribing information http://www.novo-pi.com/vagifem.pdf it is ambiguous.

"What are the possible side effects of Vagifem ®?
Vagifem ® is only used in the vagina; however,the risks associated with oral estrogens should be taken into account. Side effects are grouped by how serious they are and how often they happen when you are treated.
Serious but less common side effects include:........[etc]
Less serious, but common, side effects include:
• Headache
• Breast pain
• Irregular vaginal bleeding or spotting
• Stomach or abdominal cramps, bloating
• Nausea and vomiting
• Hair loss
• Fluid retention
• Vaginal yeast infection "

I read this as saying: these side effects haven't been reported for the trials on Vagifem but we are including the reported side effects from taking oral oestrogens because these might rarely occur with Vagifem..

So hair loss is a common side effect from taking oral oestrogens.

From this I would say it is theoretically possible - but as I said before, the amount absorbed is negligible especially compared to oral oestrogens. Would you agree?

The only way to test if this is the case with anyone, is to change from Vagifem to estriol cream for 3 months or more - now only available as Ovestin - and see if you notice any difference. Alternatively ( and I haven't read all the thread) actually increase the frequency of Vagifem for a while to make sure you are plumped up, which should minimise further systemic absorption, and any rare side effects.

Definitely don't stop using vaginal oestrogen!!

Hurdity x

Jenna

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2014, 12:26:05 PM »

Hi Hurdity,

I really don't know what to think. I do know that I have read on forums before about Vagifem and members saying they were suffering from hair loss.

Lynne also says Vagifem gives her a thickened lining, for which she has to take Provera (I think it was!). Incidentally I had a thickened lining on Ortho-Gynest pessaries! But then I don't know how thick the lining was before I started using them approx six years after my last period. I suppose we are all different!

Wouldn't it be lovely if we had all the answers!

Jenna x

Rowan

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 12:52:40 PM »

To be honest Jenna if I had a womb I would never use Vagifem without using progestin/progesterone periodically.

The vagina (or back passage) is a very good way to absorb drugs which go systemic even if the area is plumped up.

On the Continent they use suppositories containing medication  this way e.g. for headaches etc. , its just not been so ascetically  acceptable in the the UK.

I have read on other forums too about Vagifem causing systemic side effects for a lot of women, this is why the doses available have been reduced.

The weaker hormone estriol is a lot safer for long tem use, but even then it can have systemic effects as you stated.

No easy answers for some women.

Jenna

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 01:32:23 PM »

Thank you for that very interesting post silverlady and I must admit that I had suspected that myself about systemic absorption. Once I stopped using Ortho-Gynest pessaries whilst waiting for a scan, my lining went from 7mm to 5mm in a matter of weeks. Unfortunately I still had to have a hysteroscopy, but the results were, thankfully, OK. I have a review with my GP in a couple of months and I will ask about whether my lining needs to be checked and whether I need to take a progesterone. I really don't want to have to go through all that again!

I do wonder, Lynne, if Vagifem could be causing your hair loss, especially as it gives you a thickened womb lining. At least it might be something for you to consider. It is listed as a side-effect on the Vagifem website I mentioned previously and I quote:-  "The most commonly reported side effects of Vagifem® included: headache, breast pain, irregular vaginal bleeding or spotting, stomach/abdominal cramps, bloating, nausea and vomiting, hair loss, fluid retention, and vaginal yeast infection."

Jennax
Pages: 1 [2] 3