Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hair Loss in Menopause  (Read 20711 times)

Lynne888

Hair Loss in Menopause
« on: November 29, 2014, 11:43:43 PM »

I's been a while since I posted. Things have been quite settled while I have been on vagifem. I've been using it almost 2 years now and it's transformed my life. However, I have been losing my hair for quite a while now.  This past few months, it has become really evident. The scalp is visible and the rest of my hair is very very fine.  I mentioned it to my GP about a year ago. I said there seemed to be some hair loss and she didn't seem too alarmed informing me that it is quite normal for some hair loss during menopause albeit  distressing. I am wondering if I am likely to lose all of my hair. Has this happened to anyone? My GP felt that hair thinning was more normal and full hair loss quite rare. Is anyone else suffering? I'm not sure if anything can be done to slow the hair loss down or even if maybe the vagifem has caused it (although I doubt this). I have seen people with some hair thinning due to menopause but mine is much more visible and I fear it is all going to fall out. It wouldn't be difficult to get a wig because it's my living! However, no one would wear a wig if they absolutely didn't have to. They itch and move around and I do not feel comfortable in them. Some people will never ben able to wear them and I worry I'm probably one. I guess I will have to if things continue at this rate, but I am hoping that the hair loss will slow down in time.  It is bad enough for me to have to use clip in pieces to cover gaps at the moment though. I would be really grateful if any of you have suffered similar issues and found it has improved over time. I think I will have to mention it again to my GP due to the severity.  Yet another side effect of the menopause I am finding more than a little distressing to deal with :(

karin

Re: Hair Loss in Menopause
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 12:14:41 AM »

So sorry!! Im the same, its worth checking out thyroid and serum ferritin levels which might indicate you are a bit low on iron, if so an iron supp and a bit of biotin can help. I lost a lot of hair about 3 years ago and discovered i was borderline anaemic but doctors dont check serum ferritin unless you ask- this will spot if your levels are lower than they should be.
I took iron and i noticed difference after about 6 months and had been stable ( i also have micro ring extensions for filling out the gappy bits!!)
Then i did a 3 month trial of hrt and suddenly its started again- lots of hair loss.
Ive stopped hrt and praying it starts to stablise!!!
So far it hasnt stopped, im using foltene plus resumed a little iron and sea kelp ( you mustnt  take kelp if you have  thyroid problems though)
I might needone of your wigs if it doesnt stop soon😳
Its certainly linked with meno but you should get gp to check also, generally women dont go bald but can go very thin

Lynne888

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 12:29:43 AM »

Thanks for your reply Karin. I will go to my gp and mention it again. I have to go for a blood test with the nurse too so I can ask for the extra checks. Can't imagine I have thyroid issue as I have gained weight too :( it's all a nightmare.

karin

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 01:10:39 AM »

A few micro ring extensions plus a bit of dermablend on the bits of scalp showing all help to hide it- you notice your hair loss but i bet others dont

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 03:23:58 AM »

If you have gained weight then it could well be thyroid, as in hypo not hyper, get a full blood count and have your thyroid levels checked, good luck...

Lynne888

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 08:46:48 AM »

Thanks for the advice about thyroid. Will get it checked when I go for my bloods.  My hair loss would be absolutely obvious to others.. the top of my head looks like Mo Molam's. It is quite severe loss. I have to use stuff to cover, I couldn't just go out commando! The hair brush is absolutely full every time I brush it. I have shoulder length hair and have recently had 4 - 5 inches cut off to stop having to pull the brush through it quite so much. It hasn't really helped.  As with all hair loss, you have to lose quite an amount before it becomes visible so I know I have lost over half on the top of my head now. At least I have a few things to go on so I will keep you informed. 

karin

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 09:58:53 AM »

Just a thought but if all your bloods are normal perhaps minoxodil might help
The other thought is a closure hairpiece to disguise the crown or even the salon hair system thing which you can swim and sleep in -

Rowan

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 10:27:01 AM »

I also think that your thyroid should be checked.

http://www.thyroidweek.com/en/be-thyroid-aware.html
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:31:23 AM by silverlady »

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 11:20:19 AM »

Its a bit harsh to suggest the Alopecia Forums and a bit demoralising, Lynne888has not describes the symptoms of Alopecia.

It would be better to wait until blood tests, also Lynnne you say you are only using vagifem, it might not be enough to benefit the rest of your body and hair.  Maybe you could mention to your GP the possibility of systemic HRT ( with the right progesterone)

Here is some more info  http://www.hairsentinel.com/estrogen-and-hair-loss.html
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:26:13 AM by silverlady »

Lynne888

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 02:32:31 PM »

No it's not alopecia.. I know it sounds like I'm diagnosing myself, but as I said, I  deal with people with hair loss on a daily basis. This is definitely the menopause as I have previously discussed it (when it wasn't so obvious) with my GP.  I've had a bad time getting through peri and hair loss was just part of that, it's just got much worse this  past 3 months but as I mentioned, it takes months to even see any gaps so it's probably taken a while to get tot his stage. I have closures. They are great but the problem is they cause traction alopecia from the clips pulling against each other and you end up with even bigger gaps and little bald patches.  Bit of a catch 22 although I DO use the small human hair ones if I'm going somewhere. They are undetectable. The ones that are glued to the head are not for me. I do not want my head shaved where the piece will fit at this point as I find it too drastic,  although I know many people who are happy to do this.

karin

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 05:17:24 PM »

I have used micro rings which are glue free without any incidence of traction alopecia whatsoever

tiger74

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 05:26:57 PM »

Hi Lynne888

Thinning hair was what brought me to ask for tips on this forum as few months ago so some of the answers on this thread are of interest to me too.  You sound very well informed already but here is the thread which I started and I wondered if any of the replies might be of use/interest to you.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23889.msg363662.html#msg363662

I sympathise with your situation.  I had complete hair loss (during chemo) a while ago and it is massively distressing (no doubt you are fully aware of this as you're in the wig business).  I hate that my hair is visibly thinning now so whilst I cannot necessarily offer any reassurance (other than the fact that complete hair-loss would be very unusual) I can offer empathy.

Wishing you all the best.   

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »

Hi Lynne888

Sorry to hear about your hair. I agree about the thyroid and blood tests generally.

I can't remember how old you are and where in meno but I think I remember that you did try HRT for a short time but the preparation you tried didn't agree with you? Have I got that right?

I would seriously give it (HRT) consideration if you are menopausal - the right preparation. I would hate to lose my hair so you have my sympathies.

Hurdity x

Lynne888

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 08:44:30 PM »

Thanks Tiger74, will read and digest the info!  I speak to people every day about hair loss and offer advice. Mainly they are having chemo and some have alopecia. I actually started the business many years ago after suffering  a bit of hair loss when my dad died 20 years ago now. The hair loss  seemed major at the time but I realise that it was nothing in comparison to what is going on now. I have done many counselling courses to help advise and support people with hair loss issues but the mad thing is, it's hard to take it on board when it's yourself that it's all happening to. I'm annoyed with myself because I have a complete support network for hair loss sufferers and yet I'm being a real wimp about this. I am at least able to help myself out of this situation no matter what happens but I can't help fretting.

Hurdity.. I never took HRT, only ever had Vagifem but I take 12 tablets of Provera every 3 months to give me a bleed. I will definitely make an appointment to see GP regarding the blood tests.

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 07:36:57 AM »

Hi Lynne. Have you considered that maybe the Provero is to blame? I'm not sure how long you have been taking it but the side effects are (confusingly) hair growth in some women but also hair loss or alopecia.

I hope that you find what's causing this soon. I went through a time of thinning hair a few years ago due to stress apparently and I can remember how difficult I found it.

Taz x
Pages: [1] 2 3