Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Progesterone cream  (Read 3659 times)

SilverFairy

Progesterone cream
« on: November 28, 2014, 07:29:31 PM »

Does anyone have any recommendations for liposomal bioidentical progesterone cream/gel (they may all be liposomal & bioidentical, but have put that in anyway!)
Thank you

SilverFairy

Re: Progesterone cream
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 04:21:50 PM »

Anyone....please?

Rowan

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 05:06:15 PM »

Found this Silverfairyy   http://www.hpasa.co.za/asp/content.asp?id=5&sid=32

Progesterone cream is an alternative if you don't want to use prescribed HRT.

Many women use it and are find it helpful, others find it does not seem to help.

Its entirely a personal choice.

SilverFairy

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 06:51:31 PM »

Thank you Silverlady  :)   I take bioidentical progesterone orally, having personally chosen not to use oestrogen (other than pessaries for dryness) but I read an article on how the progesterone is absorbed into the body in different ways according to how you take it.
It advised that the best way was a bio identical form, in a cream or gel with liposomal. Maybe they are all alike, so was after personal recommendations really

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »

Not sure I quite understand.

If you are taking oral.progesterone then why would you need a cream too.

If you do a search for progesterone cream then you will find what has been discussed before.

For some reason it can be a bit of an emotive subject on the forum and that's perhaps the reason that you are getting so few replies.
As I said if you do a search then there is loads to read.

Honeyb
x

SilverFairy

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »

As I said, I am taking it orally and have read that dermally applied progesterone is better, therefore I would obviously take it instead of!
And yes I know it is an emotive subject as I have brought up the topic before, but I do hope that some members have not been made to feel that they are doing something wrong, so dont comment? This is a public forum and as such every ones opinions should be respected.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 08:50:37 PM »

Yep but it still causes arguments and that's why many won't voice an opinion.

It really has all been said before so if you do a search then you can read all the comments.

Honeyb
x

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 09:37:56 PM »

I dont know much about it suffice to say that if you are taking oestrogen, which you are not...but for any other ladies, then a cream is not sufficiently strong enough to oppose the oestrogen, I tried it and was advised against it by the gynae which is how I ended up on the next best thing...utrogestan :)

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 10:24:41 AM »

" I take bioidentical progesterone orally, having personally chosen not to use oestrogen (other than pessaries for dryness) but I read an article on how the progesterone is absorbed into the body in different ways according to how you take it.
It advised that the best way was a bio identical form, in a cream or gel with liposomal"

I find it useful silverfairy, for more information read Dr John Lees's  "Hormone Balance Made Simple" you can get it on amazon and there is kindle version.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:29:00 AM by silverlady »

SilverFairy

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 01:42:15 PM »

That's the one I take Cassie. But, apparently, if used dermally not so much is needed and it doesnt go via the liver, at which point science stops me understanding fully!
I am /was oestrogen dominant, so have no wish to add to it, therefore only using progesterone (and very successfully!!)
Thank you Silverlady, will take a look.
Thank you Honeybun will do a search.

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 06:16:55 PM »

Hi silverfairy

Just to clarify - the "oestrogen dominance" that you mention and also in the article at the link silverlady gave at the beginning of this thread - refers to the situation in peri-menopause where some cycles are anovulatory ( ie ovulation does not take place). This is discussed in the article on peri-menopause on this site here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Although oestrogen is also falling the fluctuations in both hormones means that in the cycles where ovulation does not take place, the uterus lining continues to thicken and there is no bleed - this is true "oestrogen dominance". The condition can lead to heavy periods with clots as they become irregular to to build up of the lining. I am sure additional progesterone at this time would be helpful but oesrogen levels are also falling - but I presume exactly how and when each hormone reduces will vary from women to woman.

In these circumstances - ie to deal with "oestrogen dominance", and if only progesterone is used for this particular circumstance, then progesterone would need to be taken at a high enough dose to prevent the thickening and maybe on a cyclical basis to regulate the bleed?

In practice as you will know many women also suffer from flushes and sweats due to oestrogen deficiency at the same time as cycles become irregular so progesterone is taken as part of HRT (where the oestrogen is now mainly bio-identical) - it seems to be an ongoing problem trying to get bio-identical progesterone to be prescribed widely but I think the situation is improving. :)

If you are already taking Utrogestan - bio-identical progesterone orally - then this can also be used vaginally which will bypass the liver and have the added benefit of going straight to the uterus but I can't imagine taking it like this every day, although many of us use it cyclically! I agree re the liver - I don't take any of my HRT orally for that reason. Some of the progesterone is absorbed systemically but if you are not suffering from side effects at the moment then you would be fine with this.

The only gel that I know of is Crinone vaginal gel but it doesn't seem to be prescribed much in this country - well at least not by women on this forum.

Hope this helps

Hurdity x