Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Long gap with no bleeding  (Read 4032 times)

HelenBonnieSnow

Long gap with no bleeding
« on: November 24, 2014, 06:31:06 PM »

Hi, I'd appreciate some thoughts on my situation.
I'm 48, and my periods stopped about 18 months ago. A little earlier than I was expecting but no biggie, I had some bouts of itching at the beginning and have had hot flushes all the way through but nothing unmanageable.
This weekend, my period started. This is not just a bit of spotting, it's a period. Fortunately I have a teenage daughter whose supplies I could raid.
So after 18 months of nothing suddenly I haven't had the menopause after all!
I have read that under 50 you have to go 2 years with no periods to be confirmed as having had the menopause so presumably this is a thing, it must have happened to other women.
But I'm puzzled. What is going on with my body! Is this a one off or have they restarted? What's been going on for the past year and a half?
My body does do strange things to me. A few years ago I went on a business trip to India for 3 weeks. I bled for the entire time I was out there, and as soon as the plane landed back home it stopped. I mentioned this to my Doctor who had no explanation.
Now, I'd got quite used to the idea that I'd reached the change and now, who knows?
I'd appreciate if anyone has any thoughts on what is going on!

Taz2

Re: Long gap with no bleeding
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 06:37:31 PM »

Hi HelenBonnieSnow - welcome to the forum.

I think that even under 50 if you have a period after more than a year without then this should be checked out by your GP just to be on the safe side. Hopefully it will be a one-off and you wont start having regular periods again.

Let us know how you get on.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 07:30:52 PM »

Hi HelenBonnieSnow

:welcomemm: from me too.

Taz is right any bleeding after 12 months of no bleed due to menopause ie at the age when it could happen, should be investigated however old you are: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmenopausal-bleeding.php

As you suggest in some cases this is entirely normal and it will be your ovaries having a last fling - but they could restart.

Here is some information (a magazine article from this site) about what's happening to your body during peri-menopause: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

The body is strange isn't it? When I finished university (age 21) I hitch-hiked in Europe with a friend for 3 months and didn't have a period all the time I was away - they had been absolutely regular every 24 days up until then. They returned as soon as I came back home - and I guess somewhere along the line my brain told my body that it would be inconvenient - or the stress (although I didn't feel it) of travelling away from home abroad for the first time? In your case the bleeding could have been coincidence or a similar thing tome but the reverse. Much more inconvenient to bleed all the time though!

Hurdity  x

Machair

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 07:38:43 AM »

I went 11 months and have continued to have periods irregularly since. I noticed some things when they returned which were that my night sweats abated, I started to sleep well again, morning rushes of anxiety stopped, mucus returned with days of ovulation stretchy type, and also my breasts started being enlarged and sore at times again. PMT returned as well. Have you noticed these sort of things?

Yes the guidelines are that you should see the GP after 12 months of no bleeding, and as you are well outside that time frame it is probably wise to seek advice.

HelenBonnieSnow

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 08:06:42 AM »

Thanks ladies for your answers. It has finished now. It was 100% like a normal period, didn't particularly notice any PMT but I did get sore boobs. You're right I should go to the doctors but it takes 2-3 weeks to get an appointment and I now have nothing to show them! I have been wondering if my periods stopping was nothing to do with the menopause. I have been going through a particularly stressy time over the past couple of years, family arguments, marriage break-up, moving house, and being put at risk of redundancy. No wonder my poor old bod is getting confused with the anxiety that's going on in my head!

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 08:27:12 AM »

It does sound as if you have had a stressy time but please make the appointment anyway. It doesn't matter that there is nothing to show - the normal course of events, following a bleed after more than a year without, is that you will be referred for a scan of the womb just to make sure that there is no sign of endometrial cancer.

I remember my doctor saying once that there are many reasons why women's periods stop and quite often it is not down to becoming menopausal.

Taz x

HelenBonnieSnow

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 04:08:32 PM »

Thanks Taz you're right, I'll book an appointment