Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mammogram results  (Read 5332 times)

jenreb

Mammogram results
« on: November 27, 2014, 08:01:11 AM »

I had a routine mammogram 10 days ago and they said I would get my results within 2 weeks and as yet not heard anything.  I was just wondering if there was anything wrong would I have heard by now. Just being a bit anxious as 3 people I know have been recalled recently and so worried that I will be called back.  xxx

rosebud57

Re: Mammogram results
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 08:09:57 AM »

2 weeks really is quite quick, it's around 6 weeks in my area. Don't worry any delay would be due to work volume not a problem with your mammogram.  As for recalls they are most often due to poor quality x ray, such a blurring.  This happened with my first one.  Apparently I must have moved, or so they said.

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 02:10:02 PM »

I had mine just over a week ago and they too said 2 weeks.  I have not heard anything yet and last time, I think it was just inside the 2 weeks.

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 02:31:24 PM »

I see what you are saying about getting earlier results if something comes back - this is usually what happens at the doctors - you get almost instant results sometimes!

However, I wouldn't read too much into that as it will depend on the local workload.  I do keep hoping that the longer it takes, the better the result, though  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »

It probably depends on work load.  I always get mine within the 2 weeks following the X-ray.  I would give them a ring, middle of next week …...

Maryjane

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 07:59:58 PM »

We are very lucky where I live as they have a one stop breast clinic, seen within two weeks, see consultant who examines you, sends you off for mammogram there and then and if necessary an ultrasound and you see him a couple of hours later, those who need a biopsie also get it on the same day. The letter says expect to be there for four hours, but it was great to no everything in the same day. I was surprised at the amount of young women there.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 09:10:44 PM »

Don't panic if you get  a letter sooner than the two weeks. when I had mine they said same thing to me and when the letter dropped through the door 6 days later I nearly keeled over with fright but it was telling me all was normal, they must just have been ahead with the results.

tiger74

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 09:21:22 PM »

We are very lucky where I live as they have a one stop breast clinic, seen within two weeks, see consultant who examines you, sends you off for mammogram there and then and if necessary an ultrasound and you see him a couple of hours later, those who need a biopsie also get it on the same day. The letter says expect to be there for four hours, but it was great to no everything in the same day. I was surprised at the amount of young women there.
I think the "one-stop shop" is only for non-routine breast appointments i.e. after a patient is referred by his/her GP because there is a suspicion of active disease in the breast.  We have this at my local hospital but it does not apply to women  attending for routine mammogram appointments i.e. as part of the national screening programme (whereby women are called forward on a rotational basis, usually every 3 years after a certain age).

I had a routine mammogram 10 days ago and they said I would get my results within 2 weeks and as yet not heard anything.  I was just wondering if there was anything wrong would I have heard by now. Just being a bit anxious as 3 people I know have been recalled recently and so worried that I will be called back.  xxx
jenreb - I agree with what others have said, the amount of time you will wait for the result of your routine mammogram will probably depend on the workload in the radiology dept.  However, if you've been told you should get your result within 2 weeks then, if I were you, if I didn't hear anything after 2 weeks I would ring the dept to chase it up.  I hope you hear soon and that all is well and that you are able to relax in the meantime. 

jenreb

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 08:41:33 AM »

Thank you for all your replies. I get myself into such a terrible state about these things especially with christmas coming up.  I'm just hoping that if they did find something that  their procedure is you are called back quite soon after the mammogram and don't let you wait the 2 weeks they told me.

xxxx

LizeeeH

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 04:09:56 PM »

Got my results over the phone as they knew I was anxious, really helpful they were :)