Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Prempax c and weight gain  (Read 2901 times)

marjie

Prempax c and weight gain
« on: December 04, 2014, 01:05:50 PM »

Hi peeps, I need some help, I was on the Everett conti hrt patches for 3 yrs, then I had a wee scare as I had a thickening of the lining of the womb, so my doctor told me to stop taking hrt. I had a biopsy and it turned out everything was fine. After 3 months of sweats etc I asked to go back on hrt. I started prempax c 12 weeks ago, and my weight is just going up and up. I go back to doctors tomorrow I cannot carry on like this, I watch what I am eating all the time, yet I am getting fatter and fatter round the middle. I want to go back on the patches as I never had this problem before. Has anyone else had this problem with prempac c did your weight return to normal . ? Or is there a hrt out there that doesn't have weight gain side effects HELP

Hurdity

Re: Prempax c and weight gain
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 05:50:40 PM »

Hi marjie

Sorry to hear about your problems - there is information on this site about weight gain and menopause, and the effect of HRT. http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php

The truth is that women gain weight at menopause anyway, but some women seem to react more to some of the HRT types which can cause bloating. The oestrogens usually make the breasts denser, and will alter fat distribution slightly to a more womanly (pear shape) - but the effect on low doses is only slight. Some women experience typical pms type bloating on the progestogen phase.

I don't know whether it will settle in your case - the problem with tablet HRT is that you have to take larger doses than you need to ensure the concentration in your blood is what you need, and the hormones have to go through the liver first. This could maybe exacerbate the problem?.

I am surprised the doctor said you had to stop HRT due to thickened lining since this can be dealt with by increasing the progestogen dose - for example the doctor could have given you a course of norethisterone tablets and then you could have had a re-scan. How thick was your lining? There is no reason not to go back onto the Evorel conti if the doc has OK'ed you to go back onto HRT but a good doc should scan you after a while to check again I would have thought?

Did you have any treatment for the thickened lining following the biopsy?

Hurdity x