Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Christmas Cake  (Read 8406 times)

hanging.on.in.there

Christmas Cake
« on: November 26, 2014, 11:25:46 AM »

ha ha I was up til 1am this morning waiting for my cake to seem cooked !
6 hours at 100C for an 8" square if you must know.
Seems paler and more bouncy than usual, hope its cooked OK ! I couldnt wait up any longer.
Followed my usual recipe but they come out a bit different every year x

purplenanny

Re: Christmas Cake
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 12:33:35 PM »

Yes, that is very strange isn't it. I use the same tin and recipe and each year they are different! ::)

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 12:45:15 PM »

I have to make 3 this year. They often turn out a bit different. One of them has to be dairy and egg free. And I'm can't eat any of them!  :( Still they say they are delicious.

purplenanny

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 12:54:28 PM »

That seems a shame JuJu.
I made three last year - quite a task. But I do love the decorating bit - sparkly being my main thing!!
Only making one this year, for my Son and hopefully I will get to eat some!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 03:14:41 PM »

Is there something on then  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 04:21:18 PM »

I get a nice man from M&S to make mine for me  ;D

Honeyb
x

Ju Ju

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 04:26:45 PM »

Making a Christmas cake was the one useful thing I learnt to do in domestic science lessons at school. Been making them every year since. Much more useful than how to wash a hairbrush or iron a handkerchief or make puff pastry!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 04:28:23 PM »

Have 2 say that washing the hairbrush went by me  ;D

I did make and ice a C.mas cake - once!  All that fine lacy work looked lovely but it's going to be cut  ::).  When we got engaged Mum made 2 fruit cakes and DH iced it ………. have photos somewhere  ;)

rosebud57

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 04:32:25 PM »

I used to make everything. Xmas cake, choc log, Dundee cake, mince pies and sausage rolls.  Now I buy everything accept the mince pies (if I've got time).  I realise a few years ago that by the time xmas day arrived I was totally exhausted and it just was not worth it.  Wish I could go away for xmas but husband not keen.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 04:51:41 PM »

Grandma sent me to the butchers for mince one day - didn't know when I arrived there if she meant minced meat or the mince in the jar …… had to walk back to find out and can't remember the outcome, only the humiliation of walking into the butchers and not knowing what to ask for.   ::)

She made her own mince meat so I ought to have known  :-\ …….. she made her puds yearly, we were always eating ones a year behind  ::) - chocolate Yule log, we made one in Domestic Science - I prefer puds and log in mid-Summer, on the patio with a glass of white wine. 

Will you be white icing it and putting on little plastic figures, trees etc. or making a trellis icing?

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 04:54:05 PM »

I used to make mine, from an M&S recipe book. Turned out great every year. Now I don't bother as only the two of us to eat it. I always end up getting all the marzipan & icing from hubby's piece as he only likes the fruit cake.  Now I just buy a small slab that does fine. Now mince pies, I do continue to make. So much nicer than shop bought ones.

bramble

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »

I only like puff pastry mince pies so have to make them. Still swithering about making a cake this year.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »

'swithering' ?  ……..

Limpy

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 06:22:49 PM »

I used to make and ice them - used a Delia Smith recipe, they were good  (probably helped by the amount of brandy used to feed them) ::) That all stopped when diagnosed with MS oh and tried to emigrate to New Zealand.   

Last year I bought a home made one from a local lady who makes and sells them, it was wonderful.
Managed to get a belated order in this year, we hadn't seen the notices saying orders needed to be placed. Think it was when OH was having a meaningful relationship with the local A&E dept.

Ju Ju

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 06:31:39 PM »

I 'feed' my Christmas cakes with plenty of brandy.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2