Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Stopped progesterone for two cycles  (Read 2804 times)

2cats

Stopped progesterone for two cycles
« on: November 23, 2014, 08:02:35 AM »

Hi all,

During Sept and Oct I was feeling very shouty and stressed and thought it might be to do with progesterone phase of HRT cycle as I feel this has happened to me before. 

So, for the last two cycles I have not taken any progesterone and a period has not happened....

I was only going to miss one cycle but when the date came for me to start taking the prog, I couldn't face the thought of going back to tense and shouty me as my husband and I are getting along so much better.

I also have a different prog to try (utrogestan) instead of the messy cyclogest pessaries so really should give it a go.

Should I wait for the date my next cycle of prog should start, or just get on and start taking it?

Any advice from MM ladies?

Liz

Re: Stopped progesterone for two cycles
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:13:52 AM »

Hi - are you peri and still having your own periods or have your own periods stopped now?

2cats

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 08:37:51 AM »

Morning Liz,

The trouble is, how do you know when you make the transition from peri to meno, because the progesterone gives a false bleed monthly, just like the contraceptive pill. 

The fact that I've not had one since stopping the progesterone could mean that or it could be that I will have a period, just intermittently (as was the case before starting hrt).

:)

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 08:45:51 AM »

Trouble is, false bleed or not. You need the progesterone to keep the lining thin.

Have you asked your GP what to do.

Honeyb
x

Liz

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 08:48:10 AM »

Agree with Honeybun - whether it's your own period or not, you do need the Progesterone to keep your lining thin (unless you've had a total hysterectomy, womb and ovaries).

Rowan

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 09:53:56 AM »

Not quite right you can take estrogen only, if you retain your ovaries but have your uterus removed.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 09:55:34 AM »

Yes it can get confusing - total hysterectomy means removal of the womb and the cervix not the removal of the womb and ovaries.

Taz x

Liz

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 11:56:29 AM »

Apologies - I did get a bit mixed up there!

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »

Easy to do!

Taz x  ;D

2cats

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 05:31:13 PM »

Yes I know that I need to keep the lining thin by using prog but I haven't been back to GP yet.  Thought I'd ask on here first as there is so much knowledge on this forum. :)

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 07:45:53 PM »

Hi 2cats - if you are post-meno then, of course, you won't have periods so you can start the progesterone phase at any time because as has been said the bleed is not a proper period but a progesterone withdrawal bleed.

If you are still peri- then you would bleed at some point but because you didn't have one naturally after missing the two cycles then it is likely you are quite far on in peri and  therefore again your cycle is irregular and you wouldn't know when you would bleed. That being the case I would also suggest you could start the progesterone any time and then get a withdrawal bleed, If you then bleed at the "wrong" time you will know that your own cycle is kicking in.

I would suggest if you have missed two months then maybe take the uUtrogestan for a bit longer than prescribed as you have in effect given yourself a longer cycle ie will be 3 months since your last bleed?

Hope this helps

Hurdity x