Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Utrogestan sequence  (Read 6305 times)

Dandelion

Utrogestan sequence
« on: November 23, 2014, 01:41:03 PM »

Hello

This last cycle, the one I am just about to finish, I was given 200mg utrogestan x 12 to use.
I used the utrogestan on days 17-28, thinking this was ok, but then I have read other women using utro on days 15-26.
I don't understand why 15-26 when there are 28 days in a cycle.

For this next cycle I have got 14 x 200mg utrogestan, so, to me it makes sense to start the utro on day 15 and carry on until day 28.

Does this sound ok?

Taz2

Re: Utrogestan sequence
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »

The instructions read

"Posology
In women receiving estrogen replacement therapy there is an increased risk of endometrial cancer which can be countered by progesterone administration. The recommended dose is 200 mg daily at bedtime, for twelve days in the last half of each therapeutic cycle (beginning on day 15 of the cycle and ending on day 26). Withdrawal bleeding may occur in the following week."

Have you read the patient info leaflet. I would go by what is prescribed in there.

Taz x

Liz

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 01:51:47 PM »

Agree with Taz - I use mine on day (well, night!) 15-26 of my cycle, so 12 nights. 

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 01:52:16 PM »

There is always the two day break. Not a clue why but there must be some reasoning behind it.

As Taz says just follow the instructions and then you can't go wrong.

Honeyb
x

Dandelion

Hi thanks, a couple more questions please?
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 02:35:57 PM »

There is always the two day break. Not a clue why but there must be some reasoning behind it.

As Taz says just follow the instructions and then you can't go wrong.

Honeyb
x
I just read the info leaflet and indeed, it does say take on days 15-26, so that would leave another two days at the back end of the cycle.

Also, I have been taking the utrogestan shortly after eating food, as I get hungry last thing at night for some reason.

The leaflet also says to take utrogestan with your oestrogen, but as I take a patch, can I ignore this?

Is it ok to put this month down to a c* k-up and do things right next month?
Thanks

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 02:43:25 PM »

It's advisable to take it on an empty stomach and I think this may be to do with the absorption. You can ignore the "take with oestrogen" advice if you are using a patch.

Hopefully you will get it all sorted this coming month. It takes a while to get into routine but it is important to follow the instructions on the leaflet.

Taz x

Liz

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 02:47:54 PM »

Hi Dandelion - yes, my GP told me to take the Utro before going to bed (on an empty stomach) as taking with food will affect absorption and could cause nausea.

Dandelion

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 02:58:01 PM »

Hi ladies and thanks.
Yeah I am terrible for not reading the patient information leaflet, and GP's don't always explain how to use it, so I will start reading the leaflet more.
I think this next month is when things are going to come together for me HRT wise, I hope I am speaking too soon, but this last few days even though my mood has been low, I feel less anxious inside, which does help, because not only do problems not seem so magnified, I seem to have better access on how to approach problems and what type of attitude to have.

Liz

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »

Sounds like you're making good progress, Dandelion.  It's still early days, but you sound much more positive.  Good luck!

Briony

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 07:36:46 PM »

If you use Utrogestan from the other end, do you still need to take it four hours after food? I had assumed not, but after reading these posts, I have got myself wondering. Can't ask my GP as he refuses to prescribe them vaginally for
HRT & thinks I take them orally!    Thanks in advance for any advice x

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 07:58:03 PM »

Hi Dandelion - To answer your original question:

Cycles are started from the first day of the bleed which is Day 1. Therefore the instructions are based on the fact that you will bleed 2-3 days after the last dose which if it's on Day 26 will mean the bleed is on Day 1.

Although it's always advisable to check out and follow any instruction in the leaflet, in this case you really don't need to worry about a couple of days here or there! Very few of us are text book cases anyway so you may well bleed before or after Day 1 of the treatment if you see what I mean. The idea is to make sure women stick to the 28 day cycle the treatment is designed for.

Anyway glad things are improving for you Dandelion and you feel better able to cope!

Briony -  ignore anything about food if using vaginally - it is due to absorption differences but from what I read was the opposite of what you would expect. No GP will prescribe vaginally officially because it isn't licensed for use as HRT in this way. My GP has put on mine "Use as Directed". I told her I was using it vaginally every two months and this was fine by her (although I now have a shorter cycle) - but she didn't put any of that on the prescription.

Hurdity x

Dandelion

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 12:09:13 PM »

Cycles are started from the first day of the bleed which is Day 1. Therefore the instructions are based on the fact that you will bleed 2-3 days after the last dose which if it's on Day 26 will mean the bleed is on Day 1.

Although it's always advisable to check out and follow any instruction in the leaflet, in this case you really don't need to worry about a couple of days here or there! Very few of us are text book cases anyway so you may well bleed before or after Day 1 of the treatment if you see what I mean. The idea is to make sure women stick to the 28 day cycle the treatment is designed for.

Anyway glad things are improving for you Dandelion and you feel better able to cope!

Briony -  ignore anything about food if using vaginally - it is due to absorption differences but from what I read was the opposite of what you would expect. No GP will prescribe vaginally officially because it isn't licensed for use as HRT in this way. My GP has put on mine "Use as Directed". I told her I was using it vaginally every two months and this was fine by her (although I now have a shorter cycle) - but she didn't put any of that on the prescription.

Hurdity x
Hi Hurdity

thank you for your help.

Briony

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 06:28:54 PM »

Hurdity x
Hi Hurdity

thank you for your help.

... and thanks from me too x

Dandelion

update - spoke to GP - some questions at end of post, thanks :)
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 11:45:22 AM »

Hi

Hope its ok to resurrect this old thread.

Just to let you know I spoke to the GP today after my first one month trial of evorel 75 and utrogestan.
I told her I am still getting flushes and sweats, but as I had only been on it two weeks, I didn't feel I had given it long enough to work and she agreed and gave me another two months supply, to review after.
Hope I dont have to go on the evorel 100.
Forgot to tell her my IBS had improved.
Fingers crossed I continue to improve.

Does hrt work quicker than this for most women?
Are there any women out there who's hrt started working a few weeks after starting?

Thanks

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 02:17:14 PM »

I think I was lucky. My flushes went 24 hours after I stuck on my first patch.. I was using Evorel sequi at that point.

It can. take much longer though and I'm sure you will see a difference very soon.

Honeyb
x
Pages: [1] 2