Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Bleeding/spotting all the way through Oestrogel  (Read 5002 times)

Liz

Bleeding/spotting all the way through Oestrogel
« on: November 22, 2014, 05:26:10 PM »

Hi - been on the Oestrogel for around a month now (Estradot 50) before that.  I'm on 1 pump gel per day and am experiencing light bleeding/spotting every day.  Didn't get the bleed upon withdrawal from the Utrogestan, which I take from day 15-26.

Am suffering with raging thrush at the moment and this constant bleeding/spotting..... my view today is that the HRT is causing me more problems than I had before I went on it.

I'm wondering if the low dose Oestrogel is something to do with it...... not sure whether to try 2 pumps gel (or just to stop the HRT for the moment and see what happens).  Been suffering with sore boobs as well, so had quite a few problems since starting it.

Any ideas, ladies?  Will probably try and ring my GP on Monday to see what she thinks but would appreciate any thoughts.

Liz

Re: Bleeding/spotting all the way through Oestrogel
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 06:24:25 PM »

Thanks Stellajane.  I'm wondering if the 1 pump is too low?  I didn't have spotting whilst I was on the Estradot 50.  Perhaps that was a higher dose anyway compared to the gel? 

Suzyq

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 08:04:52 PM »

I agree I think 1 pump of estrogel is too low and wouldn't compare to estradot 50

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 08:15:45 PM »

I agree that 1 pump of oestrogel is low, but too little oestrogen would not cause the spotting though. I would suggest that as you are peri-menopausal ( still on cyclical HRT) that your own cycle is coming into play here, so not the HRT causing you problems. Sudden drop in oestrogen also can cause bleeding but not sure that it would lead to continuous light bleeding/spotting though?

Have the symptoms abated, that led you to take HRT in the first place? That's the most important thing I would say...If you are feeling well though on 1 pump and without symptoms of low oestrogen , then maybe no need to increase at the moment especially if your own cycle is coming into play (ie you have oestrogen of your own).

I would monitor it and if spotting/bleeding problems continue then mention to your doc at your next review or when you phone on Monday?

Hurdity x

Liz

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 08:00:10 AM »

Thanks Hurdity - appreciate your thoughts.  My main symptoms were sweating and prolonged irregular periods, coupled with "grumpiness", etc.  Hair was also falling out more than usual and I had lots of joint aching.  These symptoms have abated (although the weather is cooler now anyway), but obviously I'm still getting the irregular bleeding. 

I started on 2 pumps gel but my boobs were horrendously sore and I felt very emotional, hence reducing to 1 pump but that was 2 weeks ago now, so possibly not caused the spotting?

I'm not sure whether to try 2 pumps again and see if the spotting goes or just continue with 1 pump.  My review isn't for 3 months as I've just been picked up a prescription for the next 3 months' worth.

As you may have seen from my other posts, thrush is a problem for me, so I was wary of the HRT aggravating this, hence wanting to stick to the lower dose of gel.

So my dilemma now is do I put up with the spotting and hope it settles on 1 pump gel, or try 2 pumps and see if this helps. From what you've said, though, it doesn't sound like the spotting is caused by the 1 pump anyway.......