Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Aches & Pains!  (Read 2391 times)

Lynjane

Aches & Pains!
« on: November 23, 2014, 12:18:20 PM »

I don't really know whether it's menopause or an age related thing, but I no sooner get over one sprain/pulled or torn muscle, than another one appears...and I never really know why they happen! Now getting through a Trapezius muscle tear which caused such pain the other night, I was almost at the point of calling an ambulance! I'm on super strong anti-inflammatories and Co-Codamol which are helping but also, which as some of you may know, cause quite severe constipation  :o Don't really want to start on the laxatives yet, so eating prunes with fig yoghurt, and drinking lots of orange juice...any other good ideas?!

Dancinggirl

Re: Aches & Pains!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 12:34:05 PM »

I assume you are taking Omega 3?
AS an ex dancer I know what it's like to have these injuries, aches and pains.  Over the last year I've found that brisk walking is the best exercise for me.  I wake up really stiff and often achey and once I've done a walk with the dog things ease quite quickly.
What type of exercise do you like to do Lynjane? What is causing these injuries? Have you consulted a physiotherapist or a good osteopath? Sometimes it's about doing certain simply exercises that keep things supple and also making sure you are warmed up before doing anything that is quite physical.  Even gardening should be done with care.
Taking all those painkillers must be playing havoc with your system - I find I can't tolerate painkillers well these days - they really upset my tummy.
Swimming is very good for keeping all the muscles, tendons and joints working well or as I mentioned, lots of brisk walking in sensible shoes.  Dg x

Lynjane

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 03:13:33 PM »

Hi Dancinggirl, well I have to admit I take Omega 3 when I think of it...note to self; take regularly! I really don't know what caused this one, but you're right, the pain meds are messing my system up, just as well I like prunes! I do 2 double classes a week at my local power plate studio (we do warm up), been doing it for a few years, but have always done some exercise or other, and yes we have a physio at the studio and I've seen her! I'm 63 next month so perhaps I should be taking more care and not thinking I'm 23 any more!!!!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 05:05:37 PM »

Sadly I think you are right - I've had to come to terms with the fact my body simply won't do what it used to and adjust how I do everything to accommodate my various ongoing joint and ligament problems. I do find regular Omega 3 does help and I try not to sit down for too long as well!!!  Dg x