Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Thrush again!  (Read 12771 times)

Liz

Thrush again!
« on: November 20, 2014, 05:35:06 PM »

Hi - had a short course of Antibiotics two weeks ago for the beginnings of a UTI and now I think I've got thrush coming again.  Just started taking Acidopilus capsules to see if they help - does anyone else suffer with thrush?  It seems to have got more frequent since I've been on the HRT.......

lancashirelass

Re: Thrush again!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 06:08:08 PM »

You may need vaginal hrt if.you keep getting thrush low.e can.contribute to it. 

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 06:52:20 PM »

I have used vaginal treatments like Multi Gyn Actigel for many years - I find it helps to prevent thrush and keeps everything lubricated and healthy. DG x

Liz

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 10:24:33 PM »

Thanks - I've suffered for years, so I don't think it's the low oestrogen as such.  I seem to get it before periods, though, so probably hormonal.

Will look at the Actigel thanks DG. Do you use it regularly or just when you feel you may have a bout of thrush coming on?

lancashirelass

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 11:19:51 PM »

Your level drops before a period too might be worth upping your hrt at that time of.month

Liz

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 07:31:08 AM »

Really?  Do you think I should up the Oestrogel then?  I found when I did that it caused really sore boobs - hence only using 1 pump.  Must admit, I've felt good on 1 pump gel.  I'm just wondering whether the HRT has made the thrush problem worse..... ???

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 08:10:11 AM »

Thrush is one of the side effects of HRT so it could be that combined with the antibiotic treatment. I thought it was the high level of oestrogen which leads to it rather than low levels? There's some info here about thrush but not sure if it helps! http://www.gynaecologyclinic.com/gynaecologicalinfections/thrush.htm

Taz x

Liz

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 10:42:18 AM »

Oh dear, I hope the HRT won't make it worse or I'll have to have a re-think.

Husband has had the snip and has had treatment for thrush in case we're passing it back and forth, but think maybe we should try condoms as it seems to develop after jiggy-jigs! 

Thanks for your help.

Liz

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »

Thanks Sparkle - we've had the Diflucan oral capsules and they seem to work, but it comes back (thinking about it, usually after sex or before a period).   I'm just hoping the HRT isn't making it worse, because I've read that the Pill can do that.....  :(

I've read that semen can exacerbate it too, therefore going to try the condoms.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 04:44:54 PM »

Hmm - I always found that condoms caused a thrush flare up with me. If it's an ongoing problem then it would be worth asking your GP to take a swab to find out if it is actually thrush and which of the medications it is sensitive to so that you can have a proper course of the one which will knock it on the head.

Taz x

Liz

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 04:55:37 PM »

Thanks Taz - I had a swab a while back and it came back as thrush, so it's definitely that.

Hope the condoms don't make it worse.  My main worry is the HRT is causing it...... don't want to have to come off it, but there again the constant thrush is almost as bad as the meno symptoms I had before.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 05:22:13 PM »

Sorry Liz, I didn't see you question about using Multi Gyn Actigel.  I tend to use it every evening after my shower (if you are prone to thrush you should not have baths, only have showers. Also avoid scented products and wear cotton undies).
I just put a big blob on the end of my finger and push it up inside and around the outside.  I have found it keeps things healthier and prevents that nasty itching and soreness.
If i do get a proper bout of thrush (that horrible white cottage cheese type discharge) I then use the tube thing to squirt a bigger amount right up inside and do this morning and evening for two or three days.
Though this treatment is meant to be for Bacterial vaginitis, I find it treats thrush really well.
There are other gels like Hylaofemme and also some pessaries that are quite good as well. Basically all these preparations are designed to keep the vaginal area more acidic which means bacteria and thrush cannot take hold.  I good dollop of this stuff after sex is a very good idea.
I believe it is a matter of managing the problem to prevent infection in the first place.
DG x

Liz

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 07:05:29 PM »

Thanks DG!  I only ever shower, wear cotton undies, no shower gels "up there", etc.   I've tried everything to sort this recurrent thrush problem....... just bought some Acidopholus to try as well.  Will get some ActiGel as well.

Just hoping the HRT doesn't make it even worse!

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 07:06:28 PM »

Have you had a swab taken Liz?

Taz x

Liz

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 07:14:30 PM »

Yes, I had one taken a little while ago when I was suffering and it was thrush.
Pages: [1] 2 3