Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: how to get rid of mealybug on houseplants?  (Read 9740 times)

oldsheep

how to get rid of mealybug on houseplants?
« on: November 19, 2014, 05:31:17 PM »

I have a stephanotis and a number of (moth) orchids that are continually affected by mealybugs. I don't see the brown, round little bugs on the stephanotis but it's visible on some orchids. When I see them, I squash them. The stephanotis has just developed very sticky residue on its leaves, and a quick google says this is mealybug excrement ( >:( yuk).
I've been wiping the sticky stuff off with a damp cloth but clearly I need something more toxic....
I don't want to kill the stephanotis as I kept it alive in a dormant state for 6 years and last Spring it miraculously flowered again! And I'm very fond of my orchids. The affected ones are in my spare room on the window sill. It's a south facing window and an unheated room much of the time, which the plants like, but apparently these bugs don't mind if a room is colder.

Any ideas what I can use that will work on both plants please? Americans say rubbing alcohol (??!! whassat?) or chemical sprays.

dahliagirl

Re: how to get rid of mealybug on houseplants?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 05:41:29 PM »

I have managed to rid a potted bay tree of scale insects (which are related) by thoroughly washing every leaf and stalk with cotton wool pads dipped in warm water and washing up liquid.  It took all afternoon, but it looked much better for it.

oldsheep

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 05:44:14 PM »

I'm off to do that now but I've done it several times and the buggers seem to still come back.
excuse the french but I've had enough of them now  >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 06:01:38 PM »

Meths.  Gin.  Alcohol.  Dip a cotton bud into neat meths etc. and wipe each mealybug with it.  I have problems on the same plants and it's time consuming, they also hide on my cacti!

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 06:30:23 PM »

Rubbing alcohol. 

I was given a begonia so I had to look up how to care for it.  Mealybugs was mentioned and rubbing alcohol was advised.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »

It is important to lift off the mealybug, the mealy is a protective covering from predators!  Try getting them from a cactus  :o - long paint-brush!

oldsheep

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »

I had a good go with the washing up liquid and will see how it goes. I don't know how they get in in the first place!
Rubbing alcohol is a new one on me. I do have surgical spirits but was worried about damaging the plant.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 08:04:12 PM »

Which is why I use a long paintbrush soaked in meths. Mealy bugs are tiny brown critters so creep about one only notices when they make the protective 'web' white covering.