Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Pain and Discharge  (Read 5274 times)

holidaylover

Pain and Discharge
« on: November 25, 2014, 11:12:44 AM »

Morning Ladies, looking for a wee bit of your valued advice.  Since yesterday I have been experiencing a sudden sharp stabbing pain low down in the left side of my abdomen, which comes on only for a split second but stops me in my tracks.  Tummy is bloated (but then it so often is) and is constantly rumbling.  I suffer IBS on and off so was thinking this sharp pain was connected.  However, I do feel a bit sick today and have a bit of a headache.  I'm sipping my peppermint tea to no avail.  What got me worried this morning, is that for a few days, on and off I have also had a bit of yellowish/green thick discharge. I am now linking the symptoms and am now thinking I may possibly have some infection so thought I had better get this checked out with the doctor.  I have just asked receptionist for an appointment with a female doctor, (there are three in our practice), and was informed that the first one available was 18TH DECEMBER !!  After some humming and hawing, she asked if I thought a telephone consultation would benefit, and I said yes, but then she asked me if I thought I would need to be examined.  After politely explaining that due to my lack of medical training, I didn't know, but thought it highly likely, she then informed me that the phone consultation, would therefore be of no good so I would have to take the appointment on the 18th.  I've come off the phone feeling helpless and have been reduced to tears.  I'm really not prepared to go into the details of my nether regions with some young floosy sitting in an office, but am so worried now that I have some serious infection that may need prompt attention.  What do you think?

Thanks for reading, it's a bit long winded but really don't know what to do.  :-\

Suzi Q

Re: Pain and Discharge
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 11:25:50 AM »

You have 2 choices ring surgery and say you would like to speak to a Doctor as u think uve an infection
If she wont put you though ask for her name say your going to Casuality  will,inform the hospital why ur there
If that doesnt work GO TO THE CASUALITY you could be very sick by the 18th Of December get it sorted
Id be reporting your Surgery an appt shouldnt take over 3 weeks thats  madness or they r trying to save money

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 01:41:15 PM »

Can you not phone early in the morning for an on the day appointment or a cancellation.
You really can't leave this for almost three weeks. As Suzi Q says you could be quite unwell by that stage.
Take the phone appointment and tell the GP, they will bring you in quickly for an examination with those can of symptoms.

I'm afraid you are going to have to insist which is not easy when you feel poorly.

Honeyb
x

ariadne

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 07:47:41 PM »

Go for the telephone consultation. Explain to the doctor you speak to that you had tried to get an appointment but earliest was 18th. If they agree you need to see someone sooner then hopefully they will be able to get you that appointment.

Mind you I'm a fine one to talk as I hate hate hate ringing my doctors and negotiating with the receptionist for an appointment and usually end up without one.

HB, my doctors is supposed to be a ring on the day for same day appointment surgery, but in reality this is never possible and even if you ring first thing, after waiting in the phone queue for 15 minutes, you are told all appointments have gone and are offered an appointment 2 or 3 weeks ahead.  Too many patients on the books.

I hope you get an appointment holiday lover and get it all sorted  :hug:

Ariadne xx

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 09:00:54 PM »

I used to be a Dr receptionist ( a nice on I hasten to add) so know how to handle them!!  Ring again and say you have all the symptoms of a serious infection ( use the word serious even if it probably isnt)  and you are not prepared to discuss this with a none medical person and you must speak or see someone that day.  If necessary just keep repeating the above.  They will have to at least get a Dr to ring you and any decent Dr would want you to come in for exam or swabs same day.

Good luck and stand your ground - be polite but determined.

catdude

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 10:29:07 PM »

Take the phone consultation, explain your symptoms and if the doctor thinks you need examining they will ask you to come in thereby bypassing the receptionist. They may diagnose an infection from your description and prescribe without needing to see you.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 08:41:35 AM »

hi holidayover
I think one of your problems is that fact you want to see a female doctor - I do understand this but I'm afraid this is not always possible so you may need to bite the bullet and let a man examine you.  Do remember all doctors, whether male or female, have to examine both sexes and are quite used to this.  I know it is embarrassing - I certainly feel more comfortable talking to a female GP. You need peace of mind.
Good luck.  Dg xxx

holidaylover

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 10:01:10 AM »

Morning and thank you for replying

I have heeded your advice and phoned the doctors back.  I asked if I could have the phone consultation today.  I got the same receptionist again, and was asked the same questions. re. did I think I would need an examination?  I said I didn't know but insisted that in the first place I would like to discuss my problem with the doctor.  So, I'm sitting waiting for the call which is to come within the next hour with a female doctor.  It's really not easy being so firm, it's not in my nature, and I came off the phone slightly shaking and my heart pounding (damned anxiety) but I feel satisfied now that something will be done. 

Thanks Ladies x

PS  For Christmas this year I shall be asking Santa for some confidence.

holidaylover

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 08:14:36 AM »

Sparke Hi,

Well Doctor phoned within the hour and told me to pop into surgery an hour after that.  Had swab taken, she had a feel of my abdomen, and thought that the pain I was experiencing was from my IBS.  She said there was some discharge present, so I have to wait til results through next week before she issues the appropriate treatment.  She did agree that I was right to phone down and not wait the three weeks for the appointment I had been given.

H x

ariadne

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 07:37:11 PM »

Well done. I'm glad you got to see the lady doctor today and that she has taken a swab. Are you feeling any better today?

Ariadne xx

holidaylover

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 08:57:24 AM »

Ariadne, Thank you for asking.  Feeling much the same, but no worse, so will wait to see results next week as to what will be the appropriate treatment.

H x