Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Just When You Think You're Doing Well - Dammit It  (Read 1934 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Just When You Think You're Doing Well - Dammit It
« on: November 17, 2014, 06:13:06 PM »

All this year I have been really struggling with peri menopausal symptoms. By far the worse was the anxiety and feelings of dread/low mood. Amitriptyline really helped soften the symptoms, but I didn't like the fogginess that came with it.

So, 8 weeks ago I just decided to stop taking the amitriptyline overnight (not ideal I know). but, honestly I have been absolutely fine. All the anxiety and panic was gone, and I was feeling good again. But I have definitely noticed that my quality of sleep is nowhere near as good as it used to be. I used to be able to sleep for England. But, I've stopped experiencing that nice sleepiness at bedtime, and I wake up in an instant. I am getting about 6.5 hours maximum, and it doesn't feel good quality sleep anymore.

I had quite a heavy weekend, with really not enough sleep. But otherwise was my usual happy self. Went to bed, not feeling sleepy (despite little sleep all weekend). Just as I was drifting off I felt this little jolt of anxiety. I tried to ignore it, but then another one came and then another. I the spent the rest of the life desperately trying to drift off, and failing. I think I managed about 45 minutes. But, when my alarm went off I didn't feel sleepy.

All day, I have felt anxious and jitter again. I am so upset, as I really thought I had this beat. I've just had to take a diazepam to calm down.

Also, meant to add my period started yesterday and I do think there is a connection. I do remember feeling similar symptoms again for a a day or two when my period started several times this year, and suffering very broken sleep. Then on about Day 3-4 feeling fine and normal again.

Does anyone get this? is there anxiety suddenly much worse when AF starts?

toffeecushion

Re: Just When You Think You're Doing Well - Dammit It
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 06:29:37 PM »

My anxiety is definately worse just before my period starts and can be unbearable.  And it calms down about 3 or 4 days in.  Hopefully you will start to feel less anxious in a couple of days, you just have to ride it out and try to believe it will lift.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 07:20:04 PM »

Thank you Toffee.

I have just checked back in the Mood Diary I kept a few months ago, and I can see from it that my anxiety/low mood really kicked in on about Day 1-2 of my period and didn't lift until about Day 4/5. And, this was even when I was taking amitriptyline and feeling perfectly fine (if a bit groggy) the rest of the month.

Last month I don't remember the anxiety coming back, but I do remember a pretty sleepless night on the Day AF arrived. I'm hoping it's just worse this month because I didn't get much sleep over the weekend for one reason and another, and I had a lot to drink which I don't normally do.

Can I ask, is your anxiety ok for the rest of the month?

toffeecushion

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 06:16:44 AM »

My anxiety is manageable for the rest of the month, but it never goes away completely.  It get noticeably worse just before my period is due and probably lasts about a week and then gradually improves a bit.  I have also been keeping a symptom diary and can see a patten emerging.  Although some months I am a little better, but I am guessing that is due to the fluctuating hormones.  Some months they must fluctuate more.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 09:35:40 AM »

Keeping a symptom diary has really helped to reassure me that I'm not just going ever so slightly insane for no reason, and that it is caused by something chemical.

I managed a decent night's sleep last night and feel a lot better this morning  :)

My gynaecologist explained that the anxiety increases when your period is due, and for the first few days after it starts because then your oestrogen levels are at their very lowest. Apparently, it is oestrogen which helps keep anxiety at bay?

But I don't want to take the HRT she recommends all month just to deal with symptoms which only last 2-3 days per month.