Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Diabetic Hamper  (Read 6911 times)

littleminnie

Diabetic Hamper
« on: November 17, 2014, 02:31:46 PM »

Hi ladies, if I was to do a Christmas Hamper for someone who was diabetic what could I put in it?  Up to now I've seen low sugar jams, biscuits and chocolate. Any ideas where I could get cake or anything else? 
LM

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Diabetic Hamper
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »

Have a look on-line at Holland and Barratt but be warned, some products use 'sucrose' or other non-sugars.  The other option is to ring your local Diabetic Nurse and ask what is appropriate for a hamper.  Some non-sugars can cause 'the runs'  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 04:59:41 PM »

Ok I know this is not what you want to hear.

Buy nothing that is diabetic. My hubbys nurse and dietician advised against them. They are overly expensive and don't taste nice and can still send blood sugars rocketing. We did an experiment just to see.
I bought the diabetic ice cream. It was not nice but he ate a portion and then did a blood test. It really went up.
Next night had ordinary ice cream then tested against ....less of a spike.

Most diabetics just eat normally but less sweet stuff. My hubby would far rather have a savoury hamper with crackers and cheese, maybe some pate, nice coffee or tea, smoked meat. Lots of things to choose from.

My advice would be not to waste your money.

Have a look on some diabetic websites for ideas.

Honeyb
x

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 05:27:14 PM »

I agree with honeybun. Mum's diabetic nurse and her GP said the same thing to her.  and some people don't realise it is not all about sugar and moderating fat intake is just as important.

She used to really enjoy a 2 finger kit kat when her blood sugar went a bit low  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 06:30:54 PM »

:thankyou:  ………

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 07:47:35 PM »

I make up a hamper for my parents at Christmas and birthdays. Mum is diabetic and it is very difficult. I shall put in sweet stuff just for Dad, wine as she does have a little, but recently I have added non food items that she fancied eg colourful kitchen utensils that she envied in my kitchen. I'm going to ask her for ideas later, so I'll post if she suggests suitable food items. It seems to get more difficult the older she gets as her glucose levels seem less stable and she can't have the odd naughty thing as she used to.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 07:56:57 PM »

My hubby is great at having the odd naughty thing .... ;D

It's all a case of balance. Slow release foods are great. They allow a treat occasionally. He simply loves dark chocolate. His nurse told him if he managed things well he could have some.

A little of what you fancy.

Your idea sounds great Ju Ju.

Crackers, chutney, pickles,cheese. Dried fruits. Good dark chocolate. Jars of ginger, good coffee, honey.....Just a little is ok.

Tons of stuff really.

Just not the diabetic brands.

Honeyb
x

Suzyq

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 01:19:17 AM »

I agree - I'm a type 1 diabetic and the first thing they told me was no diabetic stuff. Normal jam etc is ok as is such small amounts it doesn't matter! Carb counting is key! As I'm type 1 I can have occasional sweet things although luckily I don't have a sweet tooth so rarely do - maybes 4 times a year! Fruit is a no-no but pickles etc are great. You will probably have to forget the cakes though ....

littleminnie

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 05:52:15 PM »

Having read your replies I've decided not to bother with the hamper. A bottle of Malt Whiskey instead. Thanks for replying.