Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: teeth and gums  (Read 11828 times)

gladys

teeth and gums
« on: November 16, 2014, 09:01:25 AM »

hi everyone ok I am on elleste duet 1mg and doing fairly well but now I have been in and out of the dentist have had two teeth removed and still in pain very sensitive gums and teeth more so than ever before the dentist is running out of ideas as they say my other teeth a fairly ok has anyone else had this is it part and parcel of menopause or is it just me feeling very low :(

Dancinggirl

Re: teeth and gums
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 11:48:10 AM »

I am a dentist's daughter and worked as a dental nurse with my father during my teens. I saw some pretty horrid stuff at the surgery but also a great deal of the positive side of dentistry which actually made me want to became a dentist. Unfortunately my father discouraged this as he felt it wasn't a profession for a women!!!!
He died over 30 years ago and I've had a variety of dentists since then - some good and some  :-X.
I am very caries prone so I have a mouth full of fillings.  I have always been scrupulous with my dental hygiene so I guess I've been unlucky. I know that the menopause can effect the gums - causing inflammation which will impact on the teeth, loosening them and can be a reason for tooth loss.
I am surprised your dentist is not giving you advice about how to reduce the gum inflammation - flossing and regular brushing(in the right way) can improve circulation and therefore the health of the gums.  Whatever you do don't stop brushing your teeth because they are sensitive. I assume you are using toothpaste for sensitive teeth? As we get older our gums tend to recede and this exposes areas that would normally be below the gum line so there isn't the enamel to protect and reduce sensitivity. After brushing your teeth try applying a little of this toothpaste for sensitive teeth over the sensitive areas for extra relief. Swilling saline solution around your mouth is also a good idea.  Dg x

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 12:08:29 PM »

My dentist recommended the Colgate mouthwash for sensitive teeth, which I have found to really help. Also cutting sugar from my diet as much as possible has made a huge impact on my dental health. My gums were inflamed a lot last year, but after loads of ABs for other infection, the inflammation has gone, so maybe a reflection of general health?

purplenanny

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 12:30:45 PM »

Hi Gladys
I had the same problem with my gums and my dentist gave me (had to pay for it) Corsodyl Dental Gel. Not sure if the chemist sells it. I only needed it for a few days and they calmed down. Also useful for mouth ulcers
I hope that helps
PN x x

Rowan

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 12:49:18 PM »

Think I might have posted this a some years ago but its very interesting

http://www.dentalgentlecare.com/menopause_and_dental_health.htm

Your teeth are a good indicator of the health of your bones.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 03:23:30 PM »

Before HRT I had bleeding gums. It's lack of oestrogen amongst other things. My dentist told me to pay as much attention to my gums as my teeth. She recommended brushing at a 45° angle between teeth and gums. I do this religiously every day and rarely have gum problems. The gums are receding around my crowns though and that's my most sensitive area.

Honeyb
x

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 04:24:41 PM »

It's lack of oestrogen amongst other things.

I must be very fortunate then honeybun as I do not have HRT but have no dental issues apart from a little sensitivity which responds to toothpaste for sensitive teeth, and some crowding and staining in the front which responds to smoker's toothpaste (but I am not a smoker it's just good for tea stains).  I have had no dental work done apart from scale and polish since my eldest son was born over 30 years ago,

I do think genetics also plays a part as my father and grandmother had their own teeth to the end of their life.

I sympathise with those who suffer with teeth and gum problems, my husband has soft enamel and has many fillings.

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 04:25:36 PM »

Hello gladys.

I have one particular molar that causes me problems occasionally when the gum line becomes sore and inflamed. At that time I usually rub in some salt and then gargle with a saline solution, after a day or two of this the problem usually goes. Hope this helps.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 05:31:03 PM »

I use Sensodyne when my gums cause tender spots.  I can't floss as there isn't room in my gob  ::) but I do use 'teepe' brushes several times a day.  Keeping the gums healthy can be difficult, so regular use of teepe, various gels and mouth washes can help.  I was told not to use Corsodyl paste too often  :-\

Age related sadly.  Receding gums = tooth loss which is why I have had implants.  That way the movement of chewing + regular brushing = less recession.  Gum bone requires 'action' from above in order to stimulate blood supply.

Your Dentist  :-X  ::)

gladys

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 06:26:55 PM »

Thank you everyone makes me feel so much better that I am not alone the joys of menopause good luck everyone x :)

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 04:07:38 PM »

I have an open bite and my chiropractor told me it is the cause of my TMJ issues. Braces were never mentioned as a child and would be far too costly to have done now at my age.

rosebud57

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 04:20:25 PM »

I had a problem for years with sore gums. Then about 2 years ago some told me about sensitivity to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), which is a foaming agent present in most toothpastes.  I changed to one without this (Sensodyne gel) and problems solved.  Recently I had trouble finding the gel in the shops and had to buy something else.  Within a couple of days my sore gums were back.  Check out the label on the toothpaste you buy to see if its included.  The sensodyne website gives information on which of it products are SLS free.

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 04:23:37 PM »

that's a really helpful tip rosebud, thanks  :)

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 10:47:27 PM »

SLS caused my two kids to have mouth ulcers.

It's the same foam agent that they put in floor cleaner and is very corrosive.

Honeyb
x

rosebud57

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 12:49:49 PM »

Quite agree.  All these fancy toothpaste contain extra, unwanted chemicals that we put into our delicate mouths.  No wonder they cause problems.
Pages: [1] 2