Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Sometimes feel like i am going mad with Anx/panic  (Read 4076 times)

Micky

Sometimes feel like i am going mad with Anx/panic
« on: November 15, 2014, 12:40:56 PM »

I recently posted re having an ovarian cyst which I know has elevated my anx levels.. But I wonder if anyone here feels as I do re health anx ? ...When I was younger and pre meno, I don't ever remember having the health fears that I seem to have developed now and the intensity of them ...Some days I struggle just to face the day as I am so concerned about so many things and aspects of my health... I don't and have never considered myself to be a hypochondriac - but find myself worrying so much about having/developing c ( cant even say the word) ...My GP knows I suffer with anx/dep and I am on anti- deps, but they don't always keep the thoughts/fears away.. ..I know people suggest, focusing on other/doing things etc - but when my head goes into these states of anx its hard to just get thru the day/s ...... Am I alone in this or do others experience these feelings/thoughts .....

Millykin

Re: Sometimes feel like i am going mad with Anx/panic
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 02:44:17 PM »

Health anxiety is one of the biggest issues as we age, and meno doesn't help it! I think heart problems and C are the biggest issues. No one can reason with us when these thoughts occur. Simple little symptoms can trigger the scariest illness. I'm sure if you GP had any concerns he/she would check. I think I've had everything since starting meno couple of years ago I'm 44. Some very rare stupid too that can only happen to me. It sounds harsh but I think now (when having good days ) if it happens then so be it worrying won't make it go away or help the issue. There are many posts on here from women who have different health anxiety. Hope you feel better soon.
X

babyjane

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 04:52:57 PM »

You are not alone and it is not a little thing.

I spoke to my lovely GP this week because my father had his first heart attack at 58 and I am 58 soon and with the palpitations and my blood pressure is up a bit.........

she was lovely, did everything she could to reassure me and didn't dismiss my fears. My cholesterol is very low, my weight is just right, my BMI is 'normal' my blood pressure, although it has gone up a bit it is still normal, I don't smoke, I exercise and I am a woman.  All these make me at low risk of heart attack, but of course she doesn't have a crystal ball.

Now I can take her reassurance and get on with my life or I can dwell on her lack of a crystal ball and continue to fret until I am 59.  Knowing me I will do the latter but I really wish I could be logical about it all. 

This anxiety seems to defy all logic!!

Nata

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 06:14:54 PM »

Yes yes and yes... You are not alone... I have a severe health anxiety and it seems to get much worse periodically... Right now I am in my good period but I know it will be beck one day... I guess, directly caused by the current hormone level :o

Micky

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 02:16:55 PM »

Thank you ladies ..

Its just hellish when we have all these fears - some days I feel fine and can be rational and logical, other days I just feel overwhelmed by the anx/fears/thoughts etc and its exhausting & really no fun..

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 04:08:12 PM »

Hello Micky.

I just wanted to add that I know how intense and irrational menopausal anxiety can be. Oddly enough I don't seem to worry about my physical health but I do obsess about my mental health, probably because my moods are all over the place. I wonder if the changing hormones create a general feeling of worry that then finds something to focus on, a bit like anxiety looking for a home.

Whatever the reason it is horrible and you have my sympathy.

Take care.

K.

TropicalVon69

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 04:32:53 PM »

Think the same as you Kathleen.....feelings arise and to make sense of them we search for reasons instead of just going with them and them disappearing....xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 05:38:47 PM »

What's the worst that can happen?  Cancer is not a death sentence.  I had treatment years ago and I'm still here, my Mum - 88 2-day - had a mastectomy at age 66 and no further treatment.

We feel ill, often ……. so of course we worry in case it is serious.  Maybe go to your Practice Nurse for a 'well woman' check, get information on the various age-related diseases from the Surgery or AgeUK.  See if any of them are actually relevant.  In the UK we now get certain health checks at certain ages, i.e. when reaching 60 I was sent a pooh kit for 'bowel cancer' checking. Job done!

If there is a family history of cancers than talk to the memberss who have had treatment - you may find that although they have undergone treatment sessions it wasn't 'life limiting'!

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »

.'feelings arise and to make sense of them we search for reasons instead of just going with them'

This is so true and reassurance helps a lot.  As I approach 58 I was fretting about heart attack as Dad was 58 when he had his first.  After talking it through with GP who was reassuring and didn't treat me like an idiot, I realised there was no grounds for my fears.

Anxiety is evil, it ties you in knots and stops you looking at things rationally and it becomes a vicious circle.  Anxiety breeds more anxiety.  that's one of the reasons I find writing things down on here helps.  If you lock it away in your mind it eats away at you.

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 07:07:43 PM »

Hello babyjane.

I've just noticed the slogan at the end of your post " failure is an option ". I think that's brilliant and very reassuring. Thanks.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 07:44:56 PM »

I remember how I thought the anxiety would never go which = more anxiety and sadness  :'( - I so wanted to feel 'normal' again.  To be able to do stuff.

babyjane

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 08:18:25 PM »

hello kathleen I am glad you like my signature.  I posted it there to remind myself because all my life I have been striving to measure up and be 'good enough'. It caused a lifetime of chronic stress and that 'failure is an option' was given to me when I had CBT.  It reminds me that I don't have to try and be perfect and the best at everything to be acceptable. It's hard trying to undo a lifetime of false beliefs.

Dandelion

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 10:04:14 PM »

.'feelings arise and to make sense of them we search for reasons instead of just going with them'

This is so true and reassurance helps a lot.  As I approach 58 I was fretting about heart attack as Dad was 58 when he had his first.  After talking it through with GP who was reassuring and didn't treat me like an idiot, I realised there was no grounds for my fears.

Anxiety is evil, it ties you in knots and stops you looking at things rationally and it becomes a vicious circle.  Anxiety breeds more anxiety.  that's one of the reasons I find writing things down on here helps.  If you lock it away in your mind it eats away at you.
Very true. Its like constant fear and you find things to worry about.
Sometimes you can be convinced something that isn't really a problem, is a massive one.

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 09:54:06 AM »

all I know is that anxiety tells lies.  Nothing I have suffered with anxiety about has ever happened.  My husband has the same life experiences I have and he does not have an anxious bone in his body.  The situations I have stressed out about have turned out the same for both of us, me ending up a gibbering wreck and he still cool and calm.

Anxiety is illogical and irrational and does its best to destroy our peace and balance of mind with its lies.  This is why I have my signature to remind me that it doesn't matter if things don't work out.

Saying all that, there is often no control over the anxiety and it cannot be tamed by mind over matter.  I think it could be the body's way of crying for help as it struggles to cope with all the changes and imbalances going on in it.

Micky

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 05:15:45 PM »

I find it reassuring to read all lovely ladies posts on here, and know that I am not alone ...
I sometimes feel so angry at myself because I don't seem to be able to control the Anx - my mind just goes into its own turmoil ..I then feel guilty and almost a fraud when I don't actually have anything physically wrong, and yet I am worrying about what if there is or might be ...Its like a devil feeding off negative thinking .....