Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cooking for an old person  (Read 13915 times)

honeybun

Re: Cooking for an old person
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 12:13:14 PM »

That's what I used to do SL. At that point she was eating almost normally but now anything with a gravy just runs through her. I used to do lots of meals for her here then freeze them and take them to her house.

I will make her a fish pie and see how that goes down. She will eat chicken but heating it without a gravy dries it up.

The GP won't prescribe the nutritional drinks as she can eat.

It's just difficult to ring the changes with such a limited choice.

Honeyb
x

bramble

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 12:28:48 PM »

I have forgotten the name of them but that company that does frozen meals for delivery. Have a look at their catalogue of meals and it will maybe give you some ideas for things you can cook yourself and freeze.
Bramble

(quiche can be heated in the microwave I think).

Rowan

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 12:33:56 PM »

Sorry HB new to this thread and should have read it properly, I see your dilemma now.

Adding Hellmans mayonnaise with mustard ( or regular) to the mash will make it tastier and adding grated cheese as a topping.

There is Complan that you can buy, you could make it tastier by chocolate, does she like Horlicks or malted drinks they have added vitamins.

Home made soups have been suggested, in our part of the world we can buy vegetables already diced ( they call them Pot Herbs) from the Markets.

I buy them add extra ingredients and stock, simmer for 2O mins add a little butter and then use hand blender.

Though as you say things are inclined to go straight through, so only blend a little so there is still bulk to the soup.

babyjane

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 01:36:45 PM »

Wiltshire Farm Foods, is that what you mean Bramble?  A disabled friend of mine tried them but seemed to think they were rather high in salt?

My mum was diabetic with a small appetite but she didn't seem to mind eating the same meals several times a week. she wasn't really interested in variety.

when she was ill she was prescribed the Fortesip cartons even though she could eat because she could not eat sufficient to sustain her so the cartons gave her the nutrients she was missing.

I used to work in a care home and one old lady refused all foods but would eat chocolate buttons and ice cream. All meals would be thrown at the wall. the doctor was called and his verdict was to give her what she would eat to keep her calm and not stressed. At over 90 a balanced diet was the least of her worries. Funnily enough when the staff stopped trying to make her eat a dinner and gave her chocolate buttons on a plate, after a few days the awkard old lady wanted a dinner  :)

Can you not just give mum what she likes Honeybun?

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 01:51:47 PM »

I do try to give her something tasty and nutritious, it's just that she complains that almost everything runs through her so is eating less and less variety.
She won't even attempt a vegetable now.

It's fish fish and more fish and she is getting fed up with it. She just doesn't know what she wants.
She does have Horlicks every night made by the carers.
I have looked at Wiltshire Farm foods for ideas but they are mostly meat and two veg and the dreaded gravy.

At a bit of a loss really.

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 02:26:41 PM »

How about a light chicken stew / casserole, then the sauce / gravy could be light rather than heavy or fatty.
You could also be selective as to the amount of vegetables that go in. 

Something I've seen, but not tried, are thin slices of potato across the top of casseroles. That cooks while the meat burbles away underneath, could be flashed under a grill at the end to brown.

Rowan

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 02:30:24 PM »

That sounds like Lancashire Hot Pot Limpy, though its layered.

Millykin

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »

Egg Mornay?
At least the boiled eggs would stop the loose bowels.
X

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 02:36:36 PM »

Something I've seen, but not tried, are thin slices of potato across the top of casseroles. That cooks while the meat burbles away underneath, could be flashed under a grill at the end to brown.

Like a hotpot Limpy?

Taz x

Rowan

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2014, 02:39:58 PM »

Forgive me for this HB but I thought it would make you laugh and cheer you up :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l-EyOkw3bs

Limpy

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 03:31:37 PM »

Like a hotpot Limpy?

Taz x

Yes, just like a hotpot Taz.
It might stay "drier" and be easier to adjust portion amount - not sure  :-\

I'd forgotten about hotpots  ::)
Had dimly remembered something M&S used to do (many moons ago)

honeybun

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 03:38:49 PM »

Well thanks ladies, I have had a few ideas.

Just back from the supermarket, on the menu next week will be fish pie....got a bit of cod loin.
Shepherds pie...with corned beef,
Chicken hot pot with sliced potatoes on top

Oh and fish  ;D

I will let you all know how it goes. Fingers crossed something is acceptable out of that lot.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 03:53:38 PM »

Fingers crossed HB. You have tried your best, no more you can do really.

babyjane

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 04:42:43 PM »

I just had a thought honeybun, if mum's food is giving her the runs could it be going through her system too fast?  Is there anything her doctor could give her to help slow down the transit?  If she was more comfy in that department she could be more inclined to eat her food?  Just a thought.  Good luck this week xx

honeybun

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2014, 05:29:08 PM »

Never really thought of that BJ so thank you.

The district nurse is due in so we could start with her. They deal with old people so perhaps she would have some idea if that would be possible.

Honeyb
x
Pages: 1 [2] 3