Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hooray a breakthrough with GP  (Read 2527 times)

Kimberly

Hooray a breakthrough with GP
« on: November 13, 2014, 10:44:09 PM »

I had a very interesting conversation with my GP today.  She told me she has just been to a training day or seminar on HRT.  The new thinking is that if you started HRT at the time of starting menopause and not after it had occurred, it was now thought to be fine to stay on it for as long as you wanted to.  Really good news as I was just starting to try and come off it as I am nearly 60.  Now I don't have to and feel so relieved!  :) :) :-*

Joyce

Re: Hooray a breakthrough with GP
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 11:14:11 PM »

I've been on it for some time now. Meno consultant said I would still have to come off at 60, but she may say differently next time I see her in May. Always new research coming out, so you never know.

Dandelion

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 01:17:26 AM »

I have a question please.
I started peri at 42 but I didn't realise what it was, I mistook the flushes/swearts/moods for side effects of a drug I was prescribed.
I only started hrt at 47, because a friend suggested I may be meno and I got tested.
I didn't know at the time you could start peri at 42, in my ignorance I thought it was early fifties.
Anyway, with this 'new thinking', as I started hrt 5 years after I started meno, does that mean I will be bullied to come off?
I want to stay on it as long as I need it.

Liz

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 07:36:32 AM »

My GP told me that they don't start the "countdown" of the time you're on HRT until around the age of 51 anyway, Dandelion, so like me, I think you'll be fine.  I started recently at the age of 46 and like you, I didn't realise my symptoms were down to peri, but I reckon I've been peri for at least 3 years now. 

peegeetip

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 10:42:42 AM »

This is great news ladies.

I don't think its news to those of us following this site and forum but at last the doctors are catching up.

I'm not going to worry too much about when I had started taking HRT. 

Peri continues until you have the very last period and for me I got to 10 or 11 months then had another one  ::) So I was definately still a merry peri when I got my HRT started ;)

Here's to more good news like this.

:-*

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 11:06:41 AM »

Great news Kimberly!

Also Dandelion - just to clarify - menopause is the date of your last period which you will never know if you start HRT before 12 months have past since your last period.  As peegeetip says, peri-menopause refers to the years leading up to the menopause (and sometimes to the 2 years following) so you did not start your menopausal years at 42.

The new thinking also states that there is a "window of opportunity" whereby there is less risk if HRT is started within 10 years of menopause or under 60. This was in the context of protection to heart and circulation.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/risks.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/pdf/HRT2013.pdf
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/newsitem.php?recordID=54/HRT-and-Dementia

Hurdity  x