Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello there  (Read 3592 times)

AuntyFester

Hello there
« on: November 13, 2014, 04:48:31 PM »

:) I'm new to the forum. Just turned 50. Been on HRT since early 40's and diagnosed peri-menopausal. 5 years ago I had a cyst on my right ovary which was discovered when it twisted and had to be removed along with the fallopian tube. Recently been having pain on my remaining ovary and all sorts of issues with the HRT I was on. Dr's mucked about with tablets and have ended up seeing a consultant at the hospital. he has decided that the best course of action is to remove the other ovary. Will need to continue HRT with progesterone element to it - shame as it really mucks me about. I become some shrieking banshee totally intolerant of everything and everyone around me....poor OH is really struggling! Investigating bio-identical alternatives prior to surgery.....also worth noting that there is a history of osteoporosis on my mum's side.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hello there
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 04:52:30 PM »

Progesterone notoriously upsets some ladies.  Unless this is really a necessary route and before you embark on anything further, have a read of the menus left of screen.  Make notes. See what applies to your particular situation.  Quality of Life is important and if you have had reactions to this part of HRT ???  :-\

Hopefully ladies will be along to make suggestions regarding HRT without progesterone. Have a 'search' too

Is there a Menopause Clinic near to you? 

AuntyFester

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 04:59:44 PM »

Thank you. I have been perusing the forum for a while and only now taken the plunge to join. It looks like a fab place with lots of info and support. So much information to process, will keep me busy in the night when I can't sleep.
I would dearly love to be without the progesterone element but the consultant wants to leave my uterus in place - hence required apparently, although I do get a different opinion with each different person I see  :-\ would be more than happy to have the whole lot out tbh then I could stick to just estrogen  :)
How would I find out whether there is a Menopause clinic nearby?

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 05:04:34 PM »

do a 'search' for "menopause clinic ….. [nearest town, city, county] "

Is there a reason not to go for the whole hysterectomy too?

AuntyFester

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 05:12:32 PM »

Hi CLKD as far as I can see there is no reason n to do the whole hysterectomy apart from the consultant saying 'it's big op and you have no issues with the uterus' will try again to get the whole lot out.
Off search menopause clinics  :)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 06:02:44 PM »

Asking what problems getting rid of the womb will cause?  He may know things that he isn't letting on  ;)

My friend 'had enough wind to fly a kite' after hers was removed  ::)

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 04:49:36 PM »

Hello AuntyFester and welcome to the forum.

The intolerance thing really rings a bell with me, I just can't stand to be with people when I feel like this because everyone annoys me so much. I don't think it shows as I don't scream ( though I want to ) but when I mentioned to my husband that I thought he was getting off lightly he said no he wasn't as I complained  of feeling on edge all the time. Geez a girl can't win.

I hope you get the advice you are looking for, this forum is a great source of help and support.   

Wishing you well.

K.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 10:36:52 AM »

Hi AuntyFester - welcome from me too.

On the subject of hysterectomy I agree that this is not something to be undertaken lightly and can cause more problems than it solves. I had one in July of this year and although it obviously cured the problem (prolapse) it has impacted on both my bladder and bowel function (something my consultant warned me about which is why I put it off for three years) and also sexual function. There is interesting info here about the effect of the removal of the womb on other organs http://www.hormonesmatter.com/hysterectomy-impact-pelvic-floor-organ-function/

Hope you get some relief from the irritability soon. I have the same - just want to be left alone a lot of the time  ;D

Taz x  :welcomemm:

AuntyFester

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 06:10:46 PM »

Thanks for the welcome ladies, Kathleen I thought I was doing Ok with hiding the intolerance thing too until my husband had obviously has enough one day and proceeded on a long rant about my rolling eyes  ::) every time he opened his mouth!!!  :-\   Ah well back to the drawing board...... :sigh:
Taz2 thanks for the link, has a good read of it and I may just re-think demanding everything is taken out - especially as I alreadt suffer from urge incontinence (always have to have a loo nearby  :oops: ) and have been diagnosed with diverticular disease - could just make these a whole lot worse. Utrogestan may just suit me better..
already getting loads of info and support  -  :thankyou:

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 06:24:22 PM »

I thought I was doing Ok with hiding the intolerance thing too until my husband had obviously has enough one day and proceeded on a long rant about my rolling eyes  ::) every time he opened his mouth!!!  :-\   

Auntyfester - You are not alone. I find myself doing the rolling eyes thing at OH - and this is when I'me interested in what he's saying  ::)

BTW - Welcome to MM   :welcomemm:

AuntyFester

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 06:41:09 PM »

That made me smile Limpy  ;D
Maybe there should be a separate forum for our long suffering OH's - I do feel for them being on the receiving end of our erratic hormones....