Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trust Me I'm A Doctor  (Read 8736 times)

Dandelion

Re: Trust Me I'm A Doctor
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 12:06:00 PM »

My main GP is a sweetie, although for some reason, the mention of hrt turned her into a cross between King Kong and Godzilla, hahhahahah

When I was detoxing from a certain medication, I found that she, like many other doctors, was not informed, so in the nicest possible way, I educated her, but not in an offensive way, and she used to call me an "Expert patient", I never did find out if she was being sarcastic when using this phrase. hahahhhahhahahah

:)

peegeetip

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 01:57:57 PM »

Laughed out loud at your description Dandelion ;D

Untill our docs stop doing the "godzilla meets kingkong"
then we'll have to rely on the help and support the MM site and forum gives.

:-*

dahliagirl

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 02:19:56 PM »

I am very glad about the existance of the internet.  I can look things up, the contents of medicines, take or leave 'advice', find out things that need further investigation, all at the drop of a hat.

Before that, I had to read magazines, buy recommended books, trawl the library.......

You have to learn to read the 'right' bits - the same with books.

I can even find out which book to read and buy it in minutes.

I have had 'odd' advice from doctors in the past.

Now I can make sure they are right, follow it up and find out more and make sure that I am getting things right too.  I can find out if I am doing the right things, eating the right things, getting enough exercise.  And why.

It takes time and effort and doctors do not have the time to explain things fully in 10 minutes - they can point you in the right direction and let you go there!

The only problems are that things are not handed on a plate, it is information overload and there is a lot of rubbish to sift through.  That is why I am grateful for websites such as this one.  It is a very good starting point, and helps you negotiate the rest.

If people give you iffy advice on forums, you can check it out and make your own mind up.

Rowan

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 03:17:36 PM »

Excellent post dahliagirl.

Rowan

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 04:26:11 PM »

I do have every respect for doctors they have a hard enough job, especially GPs they are the gatekeepers. Obviously there are doctors who are not so good but the majority have their patients best interest at heart.

When someone posts about their problems they cannot give all the information that their doctors is privy too, so it  can only be a fine line what should be suggested or advised on a forum, A forum should be for support, maybe suggestions but nothing more.

Doctors study for seven years, that should be respected, they do like knowledgeable  and responsible patients but certainly not being told how to do their job.

This has been discussed on MM quite a few times.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 04:32:29 PM »

"Surely it's safer not to give out any risky advice ……… "  :-\

Rowan

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 04:36:30 PM »

Machair Have just read your post, you sum it up perfectly, sorry if I replicated anything you said.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »

I think that this Thread should be locked.  Most ladies arrive here after a visit to their GPs  :-\  because they have been directed here by the Surgery, because they are un-happy with attitude to this time of Life or to learn more about menopause, symptoms, experiences and treatments.

:steamed:

Hattie

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »

I find it helpful to know what job a member has or has had - realise that this has to be taken on trust.

for instance i didn't know that Machair is a nurse until this thread.

Hattie X
Pages: 1 [2]