Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Nausea - Update and good news  (Read 3235 times)

Bomber

Nausea - Update and good news
« on: November 10, 2014, 10:41:16 PM »

Hi Everyone,
Some of you may remember my previous posts on this subject. I have been suffering with bouts of quite extreme nausea for coming up for 5 years. Have had been popping PPI's for England, have had a camera down my throat, scans, blood tests and had to swallow tubes to test my swallowing all for nought.
I'm now nearing 52 and have just got through a really bad phase which has gone on for months and my levels of anxiety have become quite unbearable so a couple of weeks ago I decided I'd had enough and went to my GP demanding Oestrogen patches.
two and a half weeks on and I can honestly say I haven't felt this well in years. My nausea has gone along with that I feel like I've been kicked in the stomach feeling and along with it the anxiety.
Whilst I feel like a a great big weight has been lifted off me, I can't help but feel angry, let down and so sad about the loss of my quality of life for the best part of the last five years. I post this in the hope that it may help any others out there who are suffering like I have been  :'(

Millykin

Re: Nausea - Update and good news
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 10:53:36 PM »

So glad you are feeling better, shame it took so long and you have every right to be angry, your post will help others.
X

peegeetip

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 10:35:55 AM »

Hi B

really good news and brilliant you feel so much better so soon.

Its a pity its taken so long to get the estrogen patches to start helping you.

I noticed that you'd posted back in October 31, 2012, that your doc had suggested going back on the contraceptive pill. It wasn't clear from your post if you'd done that or not.
Recent posts have mentioned docs who are unwilling to give HRT and some of us forget that the pill is always a option to help get some balance back. Just wondered if it helped you?

I'm sort of guessing that you stayed clear from Estrogen options due to the docs continual "doom and gloom" messages??

I wish I had started sooner like yourself as my life quality had reduced too but in different ways.
Just so glad that the HRT is there to help.

I hope your message helps others that are scared and unsure about their next step.

:-*

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 10:38:13 AM »

:thankyou:

Bomber

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 04:26:05 PM »

Thanks all. I did get a Mirena coil two years ago, hoping for a miracle, but it didn't come. I guess it was the oestrogen I was missing rather than the progesterone, but I was worried about breast cancer risk even though statistically it's a small one. With my anxiety levels sky-high a couple of weeks ago, I wondered whether my doctor was right; my anxiety was the cause of my nausea. However, was my anxiety due to my lack of oestrogen, as opposed to Prozac or CBT which I was being offered? Having read a good article on HRT in the Mail the same day, interviewing several female doctors who were all on it, my mind was made up. With my stomach problems I wasn't prepared to entertain more pills so insisted on patches.
I'm feeling like the old me again. Let's hope it's not a flash in the pan
Good luck to you all  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 04:44:45 PM »

If it is a 'flash'  ;) you can ask for an increase by adding half/full patch?  I can cope with most things thrown my way unless nausea takes hold  :'(

bev567901

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 06:56:31 PM »

Hi Bomber that is such great news!!! What make of patches did you get? Nausea has been my worst symptom & has got better with the patches I take. They need tweaking so just interested which hormone helps with nausea or is it individual to us. Thank you for the update xx

Bomber

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 09:44:15 AM »

Hi Bev - glad to hear from you again and that you are now also getting some relief too. It seems to me that there aren't that many of us whose worst symptom is nausea. I'm on Everol 50 patches, but I think the idea is that you start on 50 and then shift down to 25. However, the last two days I have been feeling the acid again and the dreaded anxiety is trying to get me although I'm doing my best to ignore it. What brand are you on ?
CKLD may be right, I may need more so let's see what the doc says on Friday at my review. Having felt quite normal for the last couple of weeks, I not going back to where I was again. I just can't live with this horrible nausea, it's unbearable. 

peegeetip

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 10:19:24 AM »

Hi B

what day were you on in the patches? Sometimes the benefit of a tablet is your getting a daily level.

A patch stuck on will run down as the days pass by - hence you have to replace it :)

Also some people have issues with absorbtion, skin type or even products you use on the skin (soap,conditioner,creams).
All are factors when using patches instead of tablets.

Perhaps the estrogen being in and around your stomach might help also?

Hope the acid is just a blip and your back to normal soon.

:-*

bev567901

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 01:41:25 PM »

Bomber I am on Evorel Sequi & I may be wrong but the second half of my patches are evorel 50 but I thought that was the  progesterone part so ?? On that. It is frustrating isn't it as most people say nausea is not a symptom yet if we where pregnant it would be accepted. That's how I describe it very long term morning sickness. Eating helps me plus keeping busy. I still get bad days but it's nothing like it was previously where I felt totally overwhelmed by it. Let's hope we are coming out of the nausea part of meno & can enjoy life better now xx