Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Any answers gratefully received  (Read 2101 times)

Loll99

Any answers gratefully received
« on: November 13, 2014, 04:13:41 PM »

Hi all I'm 50 and recently I ve had lots of period problems heavy erratic etc  had investigations and still under the gynae consultant for that but last 13 weeks have had no periods but continous night sweats and just feel like I'm not right !!!!. It's like I ve lost my spark. Sorry if this sound stupid but is the beginning of the menopause?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Any answers gratefully received
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 04:18:07 PM »

<wave> - could well be.  Has your GP taken blood for thyroid function test and iron count?  Blood tests for hormones are reliably un-reliable  ::) because hormones alter hourly.  Symptoms are more reliable as we know our bodies.

Browse round.  Read the menus, left of screen.  A-Z etc.; we have a funny room too ;-).

My periods were intermittent for 2 years then stopped.  Fortunately I haven't been plagued with flushes …… you'll see as you join in what we complain about  ::)

Cathypops

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 07:09:25 PM »

Exactly the same for me. I had blood tests from my GP and several times said I was 'normal' but I kept going and I eventually got diagnosed as menopausal (peri) after 5 months without a period and the night sweats getting much worse. Up to you but since taking HRT the night sweats and hot flushes have gone.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »

Hi Loll - your symptoms are spot on for menopause. The night sweats getting worse since you haven't had a period is due to your body trying to persuade your ovaries to ripen an egg. Often women report that their night sweats/day sweats have stopped only to find that a period starts, sometimes months and months after the last one.

Hopefully your gynae/consultant will be able to give you advice too.

Taz x

Loll99

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 06:44:10 PM »

Thank you ladies for your replies if you take hrt does it not just suppress the meno symptoms and if you come off it your symptoms just return? There's some history of breast cancer in my family - my mum and I thought that would be a no no for me to take hrt.
It's great having no periods as I ve had a nightmare few years on and off. But don't like these sweats 😰