Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Balloons released in Berlin  (Read 6027 times)

Joyce

Balloons released in Berlin
« on: November 09, 2014, 11:01:57 PM »

I remember watching the news 25 years ago, when the wall started to come down.  Thought their remembrance today with the balloons was lovely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29974950

Dancinggirl

Re: Balloons released in Berlin
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 10:37:31 AM »

My son was born on the 8th November that year so the morning after he was born my husband came in with the newspaper showing the Wall falling - we've kept this of cause.  I took my son to Berlin for his 21st birthday to show him where the wall had been - we always joke that his birth triggered the opening up of Berlin.
I used to work in Germany in the 70s and worked with people who had escaped from the east; I found the museum at Check Point Charlie a rather emotional visit for me - the tough times people had and the extreme measures involved in getting to freedom.
What with the commemorations for the First World war and the fall of the Berlin Wall, this has been quite a year.  Dg x

Rowan

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 11:24:46 AM »

Living in Berlin was quite an experience, so many stories, such as hearing gun shots at night time and knowing someone was trying to escape over the Wall.

The nightly propaganda very late at on TV from the East Germay, of the war atrocities, my ex husband use to watch it, I only did once and that was enough.

I loved Berlin though it had an atmosphere that is not there now according to my brother who has been back since the Wall came down. The intrigues of the Stasi, the former Head Quarters are now a museum. I joked with my brother that he should write a book as part of his job was to cause problems for them.

It is a good that that the Wall came down (though it was replaced with other problems in the beginning)

I have memories of living in that era for three years that were unique, and I am so glad I had the opportunity.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:04:14 PM by silverlady »

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 03:02:16 PM »

When my husband was doing his Erasmus studies in Germany, he made a trip to Berlin for a few days. This was in the early 90s, so not long after the wall came down. He would love to go back sometime, so maybe we'll make a point of going together.