Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Saturday jobs, a thing of the past?  (Read 7693 times)

Joyce

Saturday jobs, a thing of the past?
« on: November 08, 2014, 05:11:34 PM »

On the news today they are saying fewer & fewer 16 & 17 year olds have Saturday jobs, relying on bank of mum & dad for money.  I couldn't wait to earn my own money, it wasn't much, but  I saved it hard. Helped when hubby & I were buying our first house. 

Our kids had Saturday jobs.

Are we encouraging a generation to be lazy? I'd have thought it was good experience if nothing else.

Taz2

Re: Saturday jobs, a thing of the past?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 05:17:24 PM »

Our local supermarkets are staffed at the weekends by 16 and 17 year olds who are at college during the week so maybe it depends on different areas of the country?

I loved my Saturday job working in Woolies. I started in 1969 and earned £1.4s.9d for working 9 till 5 but that included a lovely roast dinner in the canteen. Happy days!

Taz x

bramble

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 05:18:26 PM »

I was out working as a kid from when I was about 10 (picking fruit in summer, potatoes in October). Then when I was old enough to work in a shop (13?), I worked after school during the week and on Saturdays plus school holidays. And I never had pocket money at all from my parents. Times were hard.

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 05:25:07 PM »

I think it depends on the area.  In the mid-Lands it seems lots of young people work Sat/Sundays and in holidays …….. the problem arrives when they want to stay on with i.e. a Supermarket but at age 18 'get the push' because the Companies don't want to fund over 18s due to the various costs i.e. NI, insurance ……. my nephew had great problems getting temporary posts in-between term time after he got to 19.

I never had a Sat. job.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 05:45:08 PM »

I worked in local newsagents from age 14. Initially 4 hours on a Saturday for which I got £1. At 16 got Sunday mornings too & got extra £1.50 . Thought I was rich.  ;D

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 07:47:51 PM »

I worked in a small grocery shop stacking shelves from age 14, before working in a small supermarket, then a wall paper shop. Jobs were difficult to find, but I went from shop to shop asking if they needed a Saturday girl. Good experience for a quiet, shy, but motivated young girl. Both my children had Saturday jobs. My son put an advert in the village shop stating what he could do, gardening, washing cars etc. within 24 hours he had a job cleaning old wedding limousines. His boss was impressed with his initiative. I'm sure it's no harder to get such work these days. You just have to put the leg work in. Bailing your children out financially doesn't do them any favours long term.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 08:15:24 PM »

I lied when I was twelve saying I was 13 and got a job in a shoe shop. I worked every Saturday and every day during the Xmas and Summer holidays. I started at £2.50  a day. I never got pocket money after that and was expected to buy my own clothes. Mum bought school stuff. I loved it and worked for the same man until I was 18.

My son did a paper round.....for a day and his dad took him in the car because it was raining.  ;D
He did a week's job experience at 15 at our local golf course. I knew the professional. A week or two later I got a phone call asking if he would like a weekend job. He was the best paid 15 year old in the town £50 for a weekend. After that he was never without a job. At one point he had three at the one time. The golf club, a supermarket, and a hotel owned by a friend where he worked as a barman and waiter. It gave him a good work ethic.....needless to say he did not get pocket money. In fact I took £10 a week off him and saved it up and then treated the family to whatever he chose.
My daughter found it more difficult. She did voluntary work in a charity shop for ages to get work experience. I eventually had a word with a pal who is a manageress in a Spar shop. She got a five hour a week contract with the chance of overtime. She has now worked there for almost two years. Although it's a little Spar she has had to go through so much training to sell alcohol and cigarettes.

It's so much harder for employers to take on youngsters due to rules and regulations.
I have always encouraged my two to work and earn their own money. They have paid a token amount into the house but I think that has taught them the value of things and also how to budget.

Have to say though my daughter is totally blond. Clever girl who floats along in a dream. She has her student loan which is more than enough for her needs. Does she manage it properly.....does she heck. Her and I sit down every Sunday evening and check to make sure she has enough for the week ahead or does money need shuffling between accounts. I really do try with her but she is so bloomin ditzy with all financial stuff. I keep plugging away in the hope that at some point she will start to take an interest in her own money.

Honeyb
x

Millykin

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 10:32:04 PM »

My 2 girls started work at 15, same place, it's great for taking on Saturday staff and girls at uni, they work them hard and it prepares them for big world!
HB mine are the same one saves every penny very wise with money, always has bank card in purse with spare cash the other thinks her bank accounts should be empty, just has to buy things. Can never find bank card especially when going out and in a hurry! Can I borrow.... Will I see it again?
They both work hard now and my youngest even thanked me for pushing her to get Saturday job! I never had one left school and walked into job which trained me for interior design, did try one day at tatty picking with my friends one summer aged 14 got 7.50 and treated my family to fish supper
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 10:37:16 PM »

I didn't have a Sat. job - not much choice when 1 is unable to calculate money.  I had a little pocket money but my parents bought clothing, food, holidays …….. I knew I was lucky though as I was raised in a mixed bag of job opportunities and wage ranges.  We left senior school to work on the land, go into the factories or to further education.

My sister had a Sat. job - she always wanted new clothing, fags, disco money  ::) - I'm the saver, she lets money run through her fingers  :-\  - her children are the same, 1 like me the other like his Mum! and I've had no influence as we don't see them.

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 07:17:10 PM »

My daughter puts me to shame. She manages to feed her little family on a very small budget. She has gone back to work part time. We help with child care. She would be better off financially if she stayed at home and claimed more benefit, but that's not her. She runs art sessions for disabled adults. We were always open about what we could or could not afford. Both never made unreasonable demands. I remember finding out about an expensive school holiday. They hadn't given us the letter. The comment made was that if we could afford that amount of money, they would rather we put it into a family holiday.

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 07:40:57 PM »

I hated the demands that school put on parents. Your kids sound great Ju Ju.

When my daughter joined the school orchestra there were trips a plenty. I failed to see what they brought apart from a jollie for the teachers. There was a trip to Paris, they played once and never visited anything remotely musical. Then there was the trip to New York....they played once in Central Park. There was skiing with the English Dept, a beach holiday with the Geography Dept. It was totally stupid, meaningless and only the well off kids got to go, so turned our being elites.

Mine went on the ones that were beneficial, so not Paris or New York.
I paid for art trips...they learned something, and also computer trips...again they gained something.

Ok I will slowly climb off my soap box....but I'm sure others have been there.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 10:48:57 PM »

I was refused all school trips. I was miffed as my brother got. Mum claimed he hated his trips, so wasn't wasting money on me.

I did eventually got a skiing weekend with church youth group.

My daughter has learned how to survive on very little on occasions, especially as a student. But she worked her backside off in various jobs to pay her way. She did get on some school trips, but nowhere fancy. Son never got a chance, as school had stopped trips, after a trip made by an English school went horribly wrong a number of years ago. Our school did a risk assessment & decided against such trips.

babyjane

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 10:22:02 AM »

I had a saturday job and in school holidays from age 14 until I left school to start work aged 18.

Our three children had paper rounds and always worked on saturdays and school holidays and were also grateful for what they got, knew we didn't have much and were not demanding.  They all appreciate the value of money and work hard.

Our local shops seem to have 16/17 years olds in them at the weekends, the regular staff seem to be Mon-Fri.

Ju Ju

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 01:12:13 PM »

My sister had exchange holidays to stay with a French family (my parents still keep in contact,) and I went on a school cruise. My parents saved for both, wanting to give us experiences that were not available to them. The war disrupted their educations and obviously the opportunity was not there or the money. We sent the children on school trips when they were in primary school ( activity based weeks and pony trekking. ) which we considered worthwhile, affordable and opportunities we couldn't give them. My husband was a parent helper on a couple. But the secondary school trips were ridiculous. For example skiing in the USA. Totally over the top and hugely expensive.