Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Depression  (Read 3762 times)

kiltgirl

Depression
« on: November 09, 2014, 10:50:11 AM »

Hello ladies..

just wanted some advice, and to know if how I'm feeling is a known side effect of the Evorel Sequi patches I'm using...

Been having the most awful depression; where I've been having thoughts of not wanting to be here anymore. Don't get me wrong, realistically I wouldn't do anything, I'm a single parent to a 7 year old daughter; but I do fantasise about it.
I didn't feel like this before the patches and it isn't all the time, I have had ADs for depression a few years ago so I know I'm prone to it along with anxiety...
I don't even feel motivated to do anything, the house is a mess and I'm tired all of the time. I hide away from the few friends I have remaining even though I feel lonely.
I'm only 45 and peri, thinking maybe I should forget about the patches and see if I can tough it out for a while, the dizziness, night sweats, 'dryness' and flushes have stopped since using them but I think maybe they are preferable to this feeling.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you deal with it?

thanks in advance for any replies xx

SueRoe

Re: Depression
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 11:52:13 AM »

Kiltgirl, I'm sorry to hear you feel so down. I've been there, as have so many women at this time of our lives. My mood was lifted by HRT to start with but then slid again. I think you need to speak to your GP about the way you feel. After all, you don't have to do what is suggested, just listen, ask questions and go away and think about it if you prefer. I know making the appointment and getting yourself there is a trial. Please don't struggle on unsupported. Why feel rotten if you don't have to? Hugs

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 01:27:44 PM »

Hi Kiltgirl - the progesterone element of Evorel is Norethisterone which, in some women, can give rise to depression, low mood and pmt type symptoms. Do you find that you feel worse during the second set of patches each month? If so then I would suggest that you go back to your GP with a view to changing to a different type of HRT. I swapped to FemSeven which, although I had problems with them sticking, made me feel much better.

Taz x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 04:16:03 PM »

Hi kiltgirl
Taz is right, you need to try another HRT.  Femseven has a different progesterone that may suit you better so is worth a try.  If you are prepared to try HRT in pill form I would suggest you try Femoston as it has one of the kindest progesterones that many women tolerate very well.
Can I also suggest that you seek some help with your depression?  I have suffered from depression at various stages in my life and found CBT very helpful. I currently practise Mindful Meditation on the recommendation of my GP and I do find it helps me  cope with stress much better. Lack of motivation is a classic symptom of depression and your post is flagging up typical signs that you need to deal with before things get worse. Believe me, I know how tough it is to deal with this exhausting condition and the meno can make us more vulnerable to low mood but simple strategies can make a big difference.  Perhaps talk to your GP about some help and reach out to your friends - it's important you are on good form for your daughter.
Make an appointment with your GP and ask for a different HRT and maybe some CBT sessions.
Keep posting. DG x   

kiltgirl

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 04:23:17 PM »

Thank you for replying ladies...

re cycle, i was feeling pretty awful, ie, screaming anxiety on the 1st 2 weeks, cutting the patch in half really helped with that...but yes it seems it's the latter 2 weeks when i feel so down.

Think I might go to my GP and ask for Utrogestan and a smaller dose estradiol patch, fingers crossed, really don't want to take anything orally but have been interested to read about the other methods!
I'm prone to thrush/bv so that's a worry too...

i don't think my estrogen is too low, most of the time anyway, am pretty sure it's more prog that my body needs...i had a day last month when my 7 year old commented that i wasn't 'normally like this'...in a GOOD way, as i was actually being a fun mum...dare i say it on the 2nd part of the cycle i've felt quite nice!!
maybe my body has had enough of this kind of prog now though as it's built up a bit..

so confusing   :o :o :o

kiltgirl

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 04:30:24 PM »

Hi kiltgirl
Taz is right, you need to try another HRT.  Femseven has a different progesterone that may suit you better so is worth a try.  If you are prepared to try HRT in pill form I would suggest you try Femoston as it has one of the kindest progesterones that many women tolerate very well.
Can I also suggest that you seek some help with your depression?  I have suffered from depression at various stages in my life and found CBT very helpful. I currently practise Mindful Meditation on the recommendation of my GP and I do find it helps me  cope with stress much better. Lack of motivation is a classic symptom of depression and your post is flagging up typical signs that you need to deal with before things get worse. Believe me, I know how tough it is to deal with this exhausting condition and the meno can make us more vulnerable to low mood but simple strategies can make a big difference.  Perhaps talk to your GP about some help and reach out to your friends - it's important you are on good form for your daughter.
Make an appointment with your GP and ask for a different HRT and maybe some CBT sessions.
Keep posting. DG x

Dancinggirl we posted at the same time!
I had CBT a few years ago, I used to be able to take Citalopram but it seems that in the last few years the side effects are too much, as with any other AD i've tried...I do believe that a lot of the depression I've had in my life has been caused by my hormones...always had crazy PMT and heavy periods etc...

I had a lovely counsellor last year through work, phone sessions and I still have the workbook. Am a bit scared to tell my gp about how down i've been feeling, my old gp didn't want to know when i didn't want ADs. I don't want them to think I'm neurotic, or put any illness or pain i have in the future down to neurosis or depression.

Will def get the HRT sorted, have taken my patch off, only a half one but i hate feeling this cr@p!!

thank you  :)