Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Does this crippling anxiety go away?  (Read 2866 times)

SueRoe

Does this crippling anxiety go away?
« on: November 06, 2014, 08:26:27 PM »

I know there's been quite a lot of discussion about anxiety on this forum for obvious reasons because it can be crippling. I find it hard to get things in proportion and get in a froth about so many things (queues, decisions, social-events, crumbs on the floor, holidays, noise, etc) that life is restricted and at times very unpleasant. It started when I was in my early forties and I'm now 53. Does it ever go away? Do we come out of the other side of all of this with any trace of who we used to be intact? (Gosh that sounds dramatic but I feel as if who I used to be has gone and I'd like her to come back again and for life to continue where it left off 10 years ago.) Does anyone else know what I mean by this? Please tell me things get better once the menopause-proper has passed.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Does this crippling anxiety go away?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 10:39:01 PM »

Yep - it's called 'the change' and we do lose a little of what we were but should find a different 'me' - I have to live half a day at a time due to anxiety, I have had to pull from a couple of things I was looking forwards to -  :'( Bu..er it. 

I have coping skills - we shop together and when it's likely to be quieter; we don't run the pantry/fridge/freezer down so don't ever HAVE to go shopping; we do things as a couple and don't involve others ……

Are you taking anti-anxiety medication?

Suzyq

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 02:59:02 AM »

It does get better! I had severe anxiety and panic attacks when I hit 44 and peri. After cbt, hypnosis and a lot of self-help books, I no longer feel at the mercy of these - I can survive and I no longer dread the feelings. I have gone from being house-bound to living a full and active life! Believe in yourself and your abilities to overcome ....

TropicalVon69

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 06:49:35 AM »

Thank you for your positive post Suzyq.....it gives us all a sense of hope and strength XXX

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 07:58:01 AM »

My mother who is 92 suffered dreadfully from anxiety in her meno years and it does go away.
She told me it's not something that just suddenly goes but gradually you find yourself doing things that bothered you before with no trouble.

It has given me hope for the future.

It will go and you will be able to enjoy life fully again.

Honeyb
x

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 09:36:53 AM »

the ladies are right, it does go away I think, but not overnight or even in a week.

I find mine is not there all the time now.  when it is there it is unpleasant but there are periods when it doesn't bother me now which is progress so I would say that, yes, it does go into a sort of remission in later years when the hormone surges level out.