Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Mindfulness  (Read 3558 times)

bramble

Mindfulness
« on: November 04, 2014, 09:06:07 PM »

Has anyone tried it and did it help with anxiety? There is a course local to me and I thought I would give it a go. Have tried most things....................

Bramble

Dancinggirl

Re: Mindfulness
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 09:12:36 PM »

I've been practising Mindful Meditation for around 9 months now - my GP recommended I read up about about it.  I do find it helps me to cope with tiredness and stress.  It takes some time and discipline to practise it and build it into your daily routine but I think it's well worth trying - it certainly can't do any harm. DG x

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 09:16:23 PM »

Oh i would love to learn how properly. I have a grass hopper brain and find it very difficult.

If you decide to go please tell us all about it.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 10:35:20 PM »

My GP recommended it for anxiety, but I didn't do it.

groundhog

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 10:55:20 PM »

It's has been recommended to me but at times of extreme anxiety I'm too anxious to try it!  It's a wonderful idea though - to live in the moment basically ( I think).  But if you are anxious I think it is difficult to do this.  I would go to a class if there was one available to me as I think if you can master it,  it's got to be a good thing :) xx

babyjane

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 10:26:39 AM »

I was recommended this by the chronic illness psychologist I was referred to some years ago. She went through it with me and gave me literature about it.  I did try very hard but I found the discipline too hard and slipped back into my 'attention span of a gnat' habits.  Since then it has all been forgotten.  thank you for this thread as it has encouraged me to think about it again as I am starting to get worked up about some issues again.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 02:05:22 PM »

What's the difference between this idea and CBT?

Whatever: it needs to be practiced.  Finding time for relaxation therapy was my hardest issue.  I would sit down for 20 mins each afternoon but my mind would race too much to relax: or my little cat would join me and we would sleep for hours.  Didn't alter how my body reacted/s when panic sets in, no amount of 'this won't kill you' stops the physicality of anxiety  :-\   :'(

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 02:13:09 PM »

I have had both CLKD.

CBT is a talking therapy that can help you manage your problems by changing the way you think and behave and react.

Mindfulness is more about learning to live in the moment without other thoughts crowding in and demanding attention, being self aware in the present without fretting or anticipating the past or future.

Neither is an easy quick fix.

Hope that makes sense.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 03:14:37 PM »

:thankyou:  it makes sense.  I had difficulty finding time to practice  ::) …….