Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Confused about whether Utrogestan is discontinued or not?  (Read 5632 times)

claude66

Confused about whether Utrogestan is discontinued or not?
« on: November 04, 2014, 04:47:01 PM »

I am currently taking the Oestrogel/utrogestan combination for perimeno symptoms.

It took a while to kick in but now I'm happy with the results. However my GP tells me Utrogestan has been discontinued and I'll have to change my protocol. I read on here that it was only the 200mg dose that was being discontinued so I checked with two local pharmacies and they both said that the 100mg is available but very hard to track down (I'm in London) an they have no supplies and can't guarantee getting any.

As far as I'm aware Utrogestan is only bioidentical progesterone available on the NHS so I'm really reluctant to change.

Liz

Re: Confused about whether Utrogestan is discontinued or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 04:51:41 PM »

Oh, I hope not!!  You're right that the 200mg has been discontinued but I was hoping the 100mg is available.  I'm due to pick up a prescription for 3 months' worth tomorrow!

claude66

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 04:53:26 PM »

I read your post Liz. The oestrogel is often a struggle to get but I've now found one pharmacist who is prepared to keep it on order for me but he and one other pharmacist said they had been unable to get any 100mg Utrogestan for 3 months.

(I'm in London)

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 04:55:37 PM »

Yes 100 mg is still available. In fact the 200 mg dose is also still available but not the HRT version - it is packaged as for fertility and used vaginally - I found the info somewhere and posted on a recent thread. Dr Currie confirmed it was exactly the same product.

Your doc should be able to find it in the book under progesterone for fertility - whether they would prescribe this or not who knows?!

You will need to persist with your pharmacists and maybe try to get your doc to prescribe a larger amount at once - or at least start the ordering process well before you need it?

Hurdity x

claude66

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 04:58:09 PM »

Ok thanks Hurdity.

Liz

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 04:59:31 PM »

THanks Hurdity!  My GP put my prescription direct to the Pharmacist today so hopefully they won't have any problems getting the Utrogestan 100mg.  I've got enough for this cycle anyway, I always leave a few weeks' to get the new prescription.  I was lucky that the Pharmacy had the Oestrogel in stock anyway.

Hope you manage to get yours sorted, Claude.

Liz

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 05:01:19 PM »

Out of interest, Hurdity (as a very worse case scenario!!) what Progesterone would be suitable to use with the Oestrogel in case of a shortage of Utrogestan??  I'm not sure there are any alternatives??

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 05:13:16 PM »

Unfortunately there aren't many alternatives available licensed for use with HRT.

If you look here there is only MPA (medroxyprogesterone acetate) available as Provera and Climanor. www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php It is less androgenic than the norethisterone types.

However norethisterone can also be used - but not recommended if you are progesterone intolerant - but good for heavy bleeding. A knowledgeable GP, and presumably all gynaes would prescribe this.

In terms of progesterone - when I first started HRT in 2007 and for the next 4 years I used Cyclogest which is a progesterone (ie the real stuff like utrogestan) waxy pessary which can also be used a suppository. This isn't licensed for HRT though, but my GP was keen on it. I eventually found the dose too high ( 2 x 200 mg).

There is also Crinone vaginal gel but not sure even if this is still available and I never hear of it being used - even by women reporting about their private gynaes on here.

Both of these (I think - but might be wrong) were available before Utrogestan which seem to be the favoured product now.

Hurdity x

walking the dog

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »

I have just pickef mine up today I have been waiting for it to come in since friday I have inly been prescribed two month by gp  as im new to it I hope if it works there wont be a problem getting it again frim pharmacy xx

Liz

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 05:45:50 PM »

Thanks Hurdity - hopefully won't need to explore these other ones further, getting on well with the Utrogestan, so really hope there's not a supply problem.  Think I'll ring the Pharmacy tomorrow to make sure they've got it in hand.

Dandelion

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 10:44:52 PM »

Hi

Please let us know if you have any difficulties getting hold of utro.
My GP only gave me one months worth.