Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: What antidepressants are most helpful for menopause  (Read 5472 times)

TropicalVon69

What antidepressants are most helpful for menopause
« on: November 04, 2014, 03:24:55 PM »

Hi ladies does anyone know what ads are most helpful for menopause please

Hurdity

Re: What antidepressants are most helpful for menopause
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 05:29:37 PM »

I have no experience but some of them are listed here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/prescribed.php

Hurdity x

thorntrees

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 05:50:09 PM »

I'm on 10mgs of citalopram if that's any help. A few start up problems but now 7 months in and the flushes, night sweats and anxiety have all improved- not gone completely but definetly better. Hope you can find one to suit you.

Thorntrees.

rosebud57

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 06:17:10 PM »

I took prozac for 6 months.  They saved my life.  Not always necessary to stay on them for a long time.  My doctor said he would be happy to keep me on them for up to 3 years, but after six months I knew I was ready.  Sometimes that's all it takes.

TropicalVon69

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 06:54:44 AM »

Thanks ladies just dont think citalopram is working ...will investigate further X

Spangles

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 07:34:59 AM »

Hi
I use citalopram, I was on it before meno kicked in so I'm already used to it. It did take a few weeks to settle in though. (been on it for a few years now) it doesn't matter which AD you take, there will always be pro's and con's. They make most people feel better but not everyone and most people will experience some side effects, these usually subside after time. What dose are you taking. I started on 10 but it was not enough, over the years I have increased to 30 and mostly I'm ok on this. I do still get ups and downs but now I have fluctuation hormones in the mix too. Do you use HRT as well? I use evorel 50 and Utrogestan. Not perfect but better with than without.
Hope you feel better soon.
Shellb
xXx

vanessa spain

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 12:59:13 PM »

hi sparkle ive been on mirtraraprine for 2 months for anxiety started on 7.5 mg pill now on 20 mg each night i was very afraid to take it but it really does help with sleep it has helped a bit with anxiety the doctor says i can go up to 45mg but i really dont want to do that if i was you id give it a try and see vanessa spain xx

vanessa spain

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 07:34:10 PM »

hi sparkle no ive not had any side effects but did feel bit dopy in the mornings for a few days after starting it but i think thats very common hope this helps vanessa spain xx

suey43

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 08:06:49 AM »

Hello,

I've got the same dilemma. Been on Citalopram for 4.5 weeks but still have anxiety (although depression has lessened) and still not sleeping properly even with sleeping tablets.

GP said I could swap to Mirtazipine as was very very low earlier this week but am feeling a bit better now (although still fairly anxious).

Am scared to rock the boat and wonder if I should try an increase in Citalopram first? Can it take this long to start working? Will an increase help with anxiety?

It's SO hard to know what to do when you feel so awful.

Any advice really really appreciated!

TropicalVon69

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 12:47:45 PM »

Hi Suey, I was at docs today and advised to take venlafaxine again, not sure what to do still and started a thread on it...Ive dropped my citalopram fron 20 to 10 and doc says I cd up it to 30, but when youre feeling fragle as it is as you say, its difficult to know what to do for the best...cant offer you any advice but maybe post a separate thread? XXX

bev567901

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 01:32:38 PM »

I am on Lustral (sertraline Zoloft) it is sometime prescribed for part of the month for ladies with bad pms. That is probably why the GP chose this one for me in peri meno. I gave read about mirtazapine too though & as2 of my worst symptoms where nausea & not sleeping I would give it a go if my Lustral stops working. I have to say though start up on Lustral was pretty bad but worth it xx