Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: How do you take Utrogestan? (& an Evorel 50 PS)  (Read 3104 times)

Briony

How do you take Utrogestan? (& an Evorel 50 PS)
« on: November 05, 2014, 06:16:28 PM »

I've just started Evorel 50 patches and have been given 200mg of Utrogestan to take for 12 days a month. I asked my GP if I could have the vaginal tablets as I am concerned about side effects, but she refused, saying they are not for HRT purposes. She would not prescribe 'off label', despite me pointing out a number of people on here take them that way. Am I  right in thinking that whether they go in one end or the other, it doesn't matter  - it's the same tablet? (In which case I will take them vaginally). Or are they totally different products?

I feel so stupid asking as I would have assumed they were different products, but a few posts on here have made me think otherwise.

Also, how long do patches take to start working? Yesterday (day 3) I had the most ridiculous fatigue and dizziness all day (a real contrast to the previous week of head aches and nausea mornings  :().  I was not sure if it was a side effect kicking in or my usual weird cycle (I do have these symptoms regularly). I am around the point of ovulation I think.

Any advice appreciated, as always,   B

PS I am 'possibly' peri menopausal,  aged 42. Day 5 estrogen was 40 pmol but other tests all normal.

Suzyq

Re: How do you take Utrogestan? (& an Evorel 50 PS)
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 06:26:37 PM »

Same tablets - you can use either way!! The patches should start kicking in soon but it takes up to 3 months to feel the full effects - I didn't entirely believe this, but it's true!!

walking the dog

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 07:48:22 PM »

arre you sure there the same as the utrogestren I picked up yesterday 100mg actually says for oral use on the box xx

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 09:29:25 PM »

It does say for oral use but can be used vaginally....Just don't tell your GP  ::)

Honeyb
x

Briony

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 11:13:56 PM »

Thanks to you all for replying - appreciated x

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 08:25:57 AM »

Either orifice top or bottom but they all say for oral use...never used them orally  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 09:07:16 AM »

Utrogestan was originally made in France - maybe still is - and in France it can be used either way. I have a translation of the French product information leaflet I got from the manufacturer which gives vaginal use as an option if there are side effects from oral use.

For some strange reason it was not licensed in UK for vaginal use for HRT - and not quite sure why, especially as exactly the same product is prescribed and used for fertility ie to maintain a pregnancy and is used vaginally!

My doc is quite happy for me to use it vaginally but my prescription does not say this - because it is "off licence".

Like Cassie - I have never taken it orally either as I have a nil-by-mouth approach to HRT!

Hurdity x